PDA

View Full Version : Cup Mum

Anita Bower
12-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Taken indoors in the conservatory of Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania, USA. Morning. November 4, 2008.
Konica Minolta 5D
100mm macro lens, Minolta
tripod
natural light, no flash
ISO 100, 1/30, f 11
Unsure of white balance, probably automatic
spot metering
manual exposure
manual focus
Post processing: PS7

Anita Bower

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Anita, I had to look at this twice to see why the red petals seemed so OOF. My guess is that even with a tripod, the 1/30th of a second exposure time was a little too slow. You used ISO 100 so it would have been possible to use ISO 400 and bumped that shutter speed up a couple of notches and really frozen the flower in its place.

I very much like your composition, though. You've pulled my attention towards that one little out of place petal very nicely and I like it. Next time, stop down a bit more in aperture and speed and see if you don't get a crisper image.

Anita Bower
12-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Jules. What you write makes sense. I will do what you suggest. It is absolutely fabulous to get this type of honest and specific feedback!! Thank you!

Anita Bower
12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Actually, Jules, as I think about it more, I'm a bit confused as to why the slow shutter speed would cause the OOF problem. I was indoors, without breeze.
I do understand about stepping up the aperture. Probably needed higher aperture number to create a larger/deeper dof.
Could it be possible that I didn't focus well? Maybe I focused to far back, in the center, ignoring the red petals that were a bit further forward.
Anita

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Anita, if your hand hit the shutter (you didn't say you used a cable release so I am assuming it did) then even with a tripod you could possibly have caused a small amount of camera shake. At 1/30th, it's possible that this cause the OOF area.

Now that I give it another look I do see that nothing is extra sharp so I think it could be a matter of not focusing properly instead of the shutter speed. Any time I see 1/30th or lower I figure it has a chance to be the culprit!

Anita Bower
12-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I didn't use cable release. Instead, I used the 2 second delay for the shutter. My tripod is lightweight, so, perhaps the 2 second delay isn't long enough to stop any vibration in the tripod. I'll try the cable release this week, as well as trying higher ISO speeds and apertures.

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Hey Anita, It does look soft on the focus in some parts, and I would have used a higher f-stop number to add more focus though out. I don't think the problem was movement because the whole image would be soft, but the very center of the flower and the little bent pedal on my screen look fairlysharp. I don't like to carry extra equipment so I use my self timer rather than a cable release. I set mine delay at five seconds, and have never had a problem with soft images using this system.

Anita Bower
12-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks, Mike. The only choices for delaying shutter release on my camera are 2 and 10 seconds. Correct focusing is an issue for me. I don't always see as clearly as I might. I will try a smaller f stop, as well as different focus points.