PDA

View Full Version : Ice, Ice, Baby

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
The local lakes are starting to freeze. I found this one, partially frozen, with the neighboring trees reflected down onto the still liquid surface.

Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/4L
f8@ 1/100th, ISO 320
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld
Natural light, RAW
Processed in ACR & CS4, converted to b&w, crop, levels, curves, sharpened

denise ippolito
12-13-2008, 07:23 PM
I like the tones and the subject but feel there is too much bulk on top and bottom-thought it would look good as a pano. BTW nicely seen-you have a way with turning the everyday scene into something unique-I think that's your special talent

Julie Kenward
12-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Thank you, Denise. I also tried a pano but had one edge cut deeper than the other and I didn't care for it...it left me wondering what the heck was so OOF along the edge. I like your crop much better.

I have had several of my friends tell me the same thing about my images. They are always wondering how I see what I see when they can stand right next to me and see nothing special at all. I'd have to credit my dad who, as I grew up, always pointed out to me what I was missing along the way. (He's a photographer, too, in case you were wondering...) Call it good genes or just osmosis...I get it from him.

Dave Mills
12-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I like Denise's crop. The reflection appears stronger to me this way. In this case it doesn't bother me that the reflection is dividing the image in half...

Bruce Murden
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Nice eye here, and the pano adds to it. The ice nicely frames the subject. I'd like to see a bit more definition in the ice, but I think too much structure would compete with the central subject. Good job!

Michael Pancier
12-18-2008, 11:24 AM
love this shot. great OOTB thinking on the composition. Silver is the way to go here....

maybe a tad brighter?

Alfred Forns
12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
This is OOTB thinking for sure !!! Simple and love it The re post does make for a stronger image !!!