Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Light Source : Auto
Flash : Flash was not fired
Focal Length : 135.0 mm
Lens : Nikkor 18-135mm

Any comments are welcome!

Anita Bower
12-13-2008, 05:39 PM
I love the transluscence of the flower petals! Nice selective focus. Aren't lotus flowers amazingly beautiful?!
I find the white reflections on the leaves to the left of the photo distracting, pulling my eye away from the flower. Might you clone those out and also crop some off the top of the image?

Bruce Murden
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Nicely done here. The lighting on the blossom is great.

I agree with Anita that the white spots are distracting. Moving slightly to the left to get darker leaves as BG may have helped -- if not, it's time to clone. Moving up slightly would also stop the merge from the UR lotus petals to the top of the leaves behind. I'd like to see the lotus bloom either totally on green leaves, or on the dark BG, not skirting the edge between the two.

With a still subject like this, once you have it framed (and even take an image of your initial framing), you can try looking around the rest of the frame and see if there are any distracting elements in the BG. Until trained to do so (and even after that to some extent :) ), the mind focuses on the subject and ignores what else is going around.

Adrian David
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
With a still subject like this, once you have it framed (and even take an image of your initial framing), you can try looking around the rest of the frame and see if there are any distracting elements in the BG. Until trained to do so (and even after that to some extent :) ), the mind focuses on the subject and ignores what else is going around.

I totally agree with you! I have many things to learn, and here on BPN I'm getting a lot of help....:). Thank you very much, to all of you who so kindly share of your experience!!! It is a wonderful community and I am very happy
that I have find you!

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Adrian, the light in this flower is excellent. Like the DOF and good details on the flower. Bruce gives good advice on studying the BG before pressing the shutter. With a little PS work you can correct that hot spot.

denise ippolito
12-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Adrian, nice light on the flower-well seen,agree about BG, but it's a lovely shot

Jerry van Dijk
12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Adrian, excellent image! DOF is exactly right (flower completely in focus) and the backlight on the flower makes it show a lot of details. The colors are also great. Agree with the comments on the BG. Additionallly, I would suggest to crop some of the top of the frame to give more focus on the flower. Great work!
-Jerry -