PDA

View Full Version : Old Cemetary

Rocky Sharwell
12-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Taken in Eureka, Utah--not really a ghost town but close to it. I was just playing with B+W processing and would appreciated any hints/tips.

The file was originally 200k--but something wierd happened during the upload to this board...

Alfred Forns
12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
... Rocky the Swan is a real nice touch !!!!!

For B&W contrast is the entire key to the operation. I did most of the work in LR (then new 2.0) Nothing fancy just curves and a gradient for the sky.

My vision was to give it a little gloomy effect with the cross being the most prominent feature. Btw would have tried changing the angle so the cross would not merge with horizon.

If you have any interest in B&W do check LR It is very good !!!

Gus Cobos
12-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Rocky,
I like the capture...Mr. Forns' repost set the mood over the top...congrats...I'm partial to cemetery images...what else do you have in your portfolio dealing with this subject matter? :cool:

Rocky Sharwell
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Al,

Thank you so much...Your version is a 1000% better. I have been using lightroom on your suggestion. I am just clueless about B+W. It is on my list of things to read up on over the holidays....

Alfred Forns
12-14-2008, 04:42 AM
No mystery Rocky

Use the top controls for corse adjustments Exp, recover, fill light Brightness first to get it sort of close then you go to the curves section for fine tuning. There click on the little dot UL corner then place the curser on the area you want to work and the curve changes automatically. Just move the curser up and down while holding down. Like magic !

Ed Cordes
12-16-2008, 08:51 AM
When I studied the original I was thinking more contrast. Then I saw Al's repost and agree it is what the original needed.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Since there is a swan in this doesn't it belong in Avian Free and Wild? I think that either a higher or lower perspective here to place the cross either against the sky or the ground would have been better. As is the cross ends at the horizon and I believe that this weakens the image design.

denise ippolito
12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Art, There is clearly a hand of man .It cannot be posted in free and wild-tsk tsk

Arthur Morris
12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I do not see any man's hand...

Alfred Forns
12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
...... Cross must be right ... its a Rig Deal !!! :)

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Nice FG composition Rocky. Going higher or lower to get the horizon at a different location was needed.