PDA

View Full Version : Yellow,Blue,White...

Adrian David
12-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Nikon D300
Exposure Time : 1/60 sec
F Number : 13.0
Exposure Program : Aperature Priority
ISO Speed : 200
Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Light Source : Auto
Flash : Flash was not fired
Focal Length : 18.0 mm
Lens : Nikkor 18-135mm
Circular polarizing filter

Bruce Murden
12-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Adrian, Welcome to BPN! I like your color study here -- a good subject to capture. Your comp works well, with just enough of the yellow growth to balance but not overwhelm the cloud-filled sky.

I love the deep blues you can get with a circular polarizer, but you see here the drawback of using it with a wide angle: there is a very dark patch in the upper center of the sky, with less polarizing away from it. The fully polarized part of the sky is smaller than you would think when viewing through a small viewfinder. For wide angle shots, I recommend taking it off (or at least dialing it to no polarization), to avoid the super dark patches.

Looking forward to more of your work!

Adrian David
12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Thank you very much, Bruce! There must be some tricks to eliminate,in post processing, the dark portion, in the center of the image, caused by the polarizer! I only must to find it....

Roman Kurywczak
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Adrian,
The colors are very dramatic......and for a very simple composition.......the clouds make a very nice element. As bruce pointed out.....you have a very dark polarization area in the middle of the frame and the reason is two fold........your contrast on the post is very high........bringing that down in the original....will also tone down the blues a bit. You can also use selective color...........to tone down the blues........or use a screen mode layer........Robert's tutorial here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 (.....it's at the top of the landscape forums and in the eductional forums.........just follow the links)
These should bring down the blues enough to make the overall image very appealing while being a little closer to what the eye actually saw.
You have shown a simple scene, pretty powerfully........so just a few PP techniques will bring it to it's rightful place.

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Adrian,

Welcome to landscapes with a great looking image. Both Bruce and Roman gave you some excellent advice.