View Full Version : B/W woods at night

Eric Driver
12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3101063427_b36a24afec_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS rebel XSi/450D
Lens: Canon EFS 18-55mm 0.25m/0.8ft
Flash: off
ISO: 800

any suggestions for more information i should give?

Bruce Murden
12-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Eric, & welcome to BPN!

It's customary to give the ISO, f/stop, and shutter speed, as well as the info you provided. Plus any special filtration, or technique you used (in camera or post). If you feel like saying anything about your experience making the image, or what you wanted to achieve, add that as well!

Your image shows a good feeling of loneliness here. I generally like the comp with the lit tree near the edge, fading off to the right. For me, I'd like to see the trees on the left fade to black, rather than being slightly lit (though others may like it for the gentle framing on the left). I like the curb lit, but not so much the LH trees.

Nice job -- keep on posting here! And if you do much more black and white, you can also post any B&W in Out Of The Box, Toned, Desaturated, Hand Colored and Infra Red forum.
(http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

Eric Driver
12-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Thank you Bruce, I appreciate the help.

Roman Kurywczak
12-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Eric,
Welcome to the forum. Bruce's assesment on the feeling of lonliness is right on.......but it may be a bit much for my tastes. I would remove some of the grass on the bottom......then proportionally off the left......this still leaves enough room to convey the lonliness of the scene.....yet not overpower it. I've debated the light of the lamp for a while........originally........i wanted a bit less exposure on it.........but decided that the light that bright........adds to the sense of lonliness. I may have preferred more of the right edge of the tree......but that may have introduced other unwanted features. This was pretty effective conveying a mood.

Eric Driver
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
thanks Roman

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Eric,

Welcome to the forum. I think that Bruce and Roman captured my thoughts on you image well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Eric Driver
12-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Robert...I look forward to posting more images.