PDA

View Full Version : Cautious

Lance Peters
12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Been trying to give my photography a kick to the next level - hence I have beed spending quite a bit of time on my stomach in the mud and water, to get a low low angle - in the hope this gives me a bit of a kick along.

D3
Nikon 300mm F2.8 with 1.7 X converter
F4.8
1/1000th
+0.3EV
400 ISO
Handheld in the sand.
Late afternoon light.

Hope its not too sharp/not sharp enough have just bout photokit sharpener and still fidning my way around with it.

Constructive Critisism please :)

Samir Begovic
12-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the sharpness is good. Good angle and nice background.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Sure do love the low angle Lance !!!! Excellent exposure and good pose with lovely eye contact.. Many thanks for sharing with us.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I like the angle, details and pose. It looks as if there are some clone marks on the right side.

Lance Peters
12-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Alex - no cloning done - only cropped and sharpened from the original.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Alex - no cloning done - only cropped and sharpened from the original.

In that case I would be tempted to clone out the brighter part above the wavelet. It's not really distracting, just a personal preference.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
12-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Great shot, lovely angle - has great impact. I wonder if you could get just a little more detail in the black plumage - maybe a touch of the Highlight/Shadows would help??

Jon

Tony House
12-13-2008, 04:02 AM
I like shooting at this low angle, love the DOF effect it gives and as an added bonus the birds seem much more relaxed when your on your belly in the mud and sand.

Nice work.
Tony

Arthur Morris
12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
As a shorebird lover, this one made me gasp. Excellent comments and suggestions above. What an eye and eye ring. Do you have a similar showing more of the tail, i.e., angled a bit more but still showing the amazing breast pattern?

ps: What is the species?

Lance Peters
12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi Artie - This is a black fronted Dotterel also called the black fronted plover, found in shallow area's of wetlands, lakes,marshes, rivers - only freshwater, not found near the coast.

I posted another similiar image in the ETL forum - might have been even better than this one.

I do have one that I think will float your boat - will post it in a couple of days, I am away from home at the moment. ( I have quite a few shots - but wittled them down to 3 for various reasons - if there is another there that is more like what you asked for I will post that as well)

John Ippolito
12-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Wonderful subject level photo of this beautiful plover. Love the bright beak, eye ring, and the raised toes of the left foot. Boy, this one really gets my attention.