PDA

View Full Version : A more conventional image

Don Lacy
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is another Birdwing butterfly taken at butterfly world. I had herd of and seen Birdwings on nature shows but never thought I would see one in person and was ecstatic when on my four or fifth trip to Butterfly World they had these guys in the aviary. I am still amazed when i go there to see Butterflies with 7 inch wing spans flying around.

Dave Mills
12-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Beautiful image! Nice backround and the subject is sharp and a nice specimen.

Anita Bower
12-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Lovely colors. I like the blurred background which makes this butterfly stand out. The diagonal lines are pleasing. Well composed. Lovely! What fun to be able to go to a place where you can enjoy these beauties.
Anita

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Don, that's pretty much perfection. Your depth of focus is great - can see every detail of the butterfly and yet the background is totally OOF. Your colors are bright without being oversaturated. You've got a great crop and a bit of the bf's natural habitat included.

I would like for you to add the original exif data for the camera, lens, aperture and speed so others can learn from your image! This is really nicely made.

Don Lacy
12-13-2008, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Julie Kenward
I would like for you to add the original exif data for the camera, lens, aperture and speed so others can learn from your image! This is really nicely made.[/QUOTE]

Image was made with a 30D and 300 f/4 IS hand held, since this is a grab and go shooting environment I set the camera to aperture priority and evaluative metering so I could make exposure adjustments quickly and control the DOF.
I also wanted to blend flash and natural light so I choose ISO 400 to keep shutter speeds up and used a 550 EX in ETTL mode set to 0 comp with a Lumiquest diffuser to soften light from the flash. I went with 0 comp on the flash unit knowing that dark subjects would be exposed to the right which I could correct in the RAW conversion and white subjects would need little to no compensation. As it turn out when I converted this using ACR I had to dial in -0.45 exposure and +51 recovery.
The actual exposure numbers were 1/200 at f/5 and while the numbers are useful I think knowing how and why they were chosen more valuable as a learning experience. This is a great sight Julie I hope this is helpful to others just starting out.

Mike Moats
12-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Hey Don, all the elemnts look great. Good sharp details, composition, and BG are very well done.

Gus Cobos
12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Excellent Don,
I like the composition, image and capture. I like the sharp details and color rendition on the butterfly...good show...:cool: