PDA

View Full Version : Software to compliment Nikon Capture

Kirk Zufelt
12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I just switched over to shooting RAW and invested in Nikon Capture. It seems obvious I will need some other processing software. I have a Mac and was wondering if I could get some recommendations on complimentary software. thanks for any insights.

Kirk Zufelt

Harold Davis
12-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Capture NX2. you can get a 60 day free trial. check it out. it's pretty strong!!

Kirk Zufelt
12-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Harold:

I have Capture NX2 and it seems great. However I need something with other capabilities such as adding text. The other issue is I haven't been able to figure out how eliminate larger distracting items with this program. The retouch brush is not useful for this. Kirk

John Chardine
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Industry standard is Photoshop (expensive) or Photoshop Elements (much cheaper).

Tony Whitehead
12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Lightroom and Aperture are both useful for RAW conversion and some editing but you will need a version of PS to access advanced editing capabilities (layers). There are cheaper (even free options - GIMP) but PS has all the good training literature and videos that make learning it easier and for that reason I would bite the bullet and get the full version - PS4 has been a good step forward from PS3 in my view - the addition of a an application frame in Mac has been great.

Michael Pancier
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Nik software has their famous plug ins for Capture. They all use the u-point technology. I would suggest the Nik Color Effects Pro and Viveza ... great programs

Bill Jobes
01-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I use Capture NX2, as it seems to be the way to go in initially dealing with Nikon's proprietary raw files.

From there I hop to CS3 for any tweaks and printing.