PDA

View Full Version : White Throated Sparrow

Stephen Stephen
12-12-2008, 01:14 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/WhiteThroat08_06.jpg

I created this image back in late April along Jack Pine Trail one of my favourite local trails. Until this past spring I had no images of this lovely species.

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 393mm, ISO 500, F 8.0, 1/400 sec. with Fill Flash. Cropped to ~ 60% of full frame.

I like the pose and eye contact on this bird but perhaps I should have gone for a lower F stop and shallower DOF.

Dan Streiffert
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Great capture of this bird in its environment. The photo also shows the birds main identification points. The fil flash is well done. I thinke the DOF is fine. The background adds to the photo in this case.

Tony Whitehead
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Very cute sparrow, Stephen. I like the colours and they work well with the BG. Critical focus seems to be on the breast so the eye and bill are a little soft. I have tried a version with some NR on the BG, selective sharpening to head, some selective work on the eye, darkening some of the ?trail crumbs and burning around the edges to focus in on the sparrow.

Arthur Morris
12-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Love this species, esp. in breeding plumage. Good photo with a fabulous repost by Tony. Nice sublte but effective work on the eye.

Stephen Stephen
12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Thank Dan, Tony and Artie. Tony great re-work on this image.

I forgot to mention that, with the exception of the cropping, the image was posted pretty much as it came out of the camera.