PDA

View Full Version : New Lens

Mike Moats
12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
In my workshops I teach that you don't have to buy the top of the line equipment (cameras, lenses, tripod, heads,etc.)and mortgage your house to make good macro images. I always recommend for macro that if you can afford it, go with a macro lens in the longer focal lengths (150 or up). In the last few workshops, some of my students were using a Sigma APO DG 70-300 zoom macro lens. Viewing their images in photoshop I was quite impress with what I saw, which was very good sharpness. It has a macro ratio of 1 to 2 instead of the true macro lens which offer a 1 to 1 ratio, but hey its pretty close and none of the students with this lens were having any problems shooting the subjects in the workshops. I went home and checked out the price of this lens and was shocked that it only cost $149.00:eek:. I decide I had to buy one and try it for myself. I compared the Sigma 70-300 against my Sigma 180 macro and will admit that it wasn't as sharp as the 180 but it was pretty darn good for $149.00. The macro range on this lens only works in the 200mm to 300mm range which is what I wanted for. I went out yesterday and shot a ton of different subjects and got very good results. I had to do a tad more sharpening than I do with the 180, but it worked out fine. In the past at my introduction to macro workshops many of the new comers that were there to learn about what equipment was needed for macro were not in a position to buy a lens only for macro and I would let them know that they could still shoot macro with their regular lens and add extension tubes to shoot in closer. The tubes on the low cost end run about $159.00 for a set of three and are a hassle to deal with adding and subtracting as you move in and out from the subject. Now I can recommend a low cost option for less than a set of tubes and less the hassle of working with the tubes. This was one of the images I shot and you can see it looks really nice coming out of a $149.00 lens. I varied shots with standing subjects with blurred BG and it also worked well. This is my usual leaf type image (Leaves are encased in ice) and since I've been posting some ice abstracts I'll show you some done with the 70-300.

Fuji S5, Sigma 70-300 macro, Tripod, Natural light, f/32

denise ippolito
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Mike, I like this abstract alot-I like how the main vein is on a diagonal and the ice is only on part of the leaf so detail can be seen. The lens is something to consider-thanks

Kaushik Balakumar
12-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Beautiful image Mike. No wonder the experts say that the equipment does not really matter !
Mike, how close is the focusing distance from the subject ?

Don Lacy
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Mike, really interesting image with the patterns and layers.

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
That's funny that you mentioned that lens because my local camera guy was pushing that one on me the last time I was in to see him! I read some good reviews on it but, as you said, it's not quite as sharp as one of the higher priced name brand lenses (duh). It's good to see you're impressed with it...gives me another reference point for when I go to buy my next lens.

Mike Moats
12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Kaushik, I was about five feet away on this shot.

Hey Jules, its a good lens for someone wanting to test the waters with macro before investing in the higher priced lens.