PDA

View Full Version : Lift off

Paul Lagasi
12-11-2008, 11:44 PM
We seem to have Owls everywhere this year, 7 different species have been reported in our area..this Snowy didn't like me taking his photo I guess. My new lens is sweet...thanks Alfred..Wished for more head turn but hey I'll take it the way it is...Paul

D300 70-200 2.8 w 1.4tc iso-400 1/3200 f5.6

Stu Bowie
12-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Exceptional timing, and love the upturned wing. I think you have the perfect comp here. Great image Paul.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-12-2008, 11:40 PM
The wing position is great, I only wish for a lower angle and a bit more eye contact. Having said that, I would be happy to see a snowy owl in the wild.

Paul Lagasi
12-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Axel come on up...its only about 5 hours from Allentown, if you decide to try I can meet you where the I-81 crosses into Canada, I'd be happy to take you on a tour of Amherst Island...lots of Owls (plus Raptors) around this year.

We have an influx of Owls, so far around here we've had Boreal, Saw-Whet, Snowy, Long-Eared, Short-Eared, Northern Hawk, Great Horned (look at thread in Canada Forum, not all great shots but sometimes these Owls are well hidden)..next Tuesday I am going to search for a few Great Gray Owls and Barred Owls that have been seen locally.

I also wish this bird had looked my way when he took off...but he is a very tame Owl..couldn't have cared less we were there, he just focused on prey and took off.

Getting permission from landowners is very important on Amherst, we searched out landowner for an hour, recieved permission and walked out on the property to photograph this Snowy. This island is unreal..Meadow Voles must be a million of them. Paul