PDA

View Full Version : Moonset at White Sands

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
White Sands is such a great place with so many opportunities. This was early morning with a setting moon. The pink is from the pre-dawn sunlight. The blue sand if from the reflection of the deep blue sky overhead.

I choose a non traditional focal length to make the moon disk appear larger than normal.

This image was made as part of a workshop that I led this November. I had such a great time and the ws was such a sucess I will be offering 2 ws there in 2009.

D300 and Sigma 50-150mm EX @ 80mm, 1/20 @ F11. ISO 400. Mongoose C-90 and M3,5a.

Thanks for looking, critiques welcome.

Image Copyright 2008-2009; Robert OToole Photography

Kaushik Balakumar
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
A lovely composition Robert - simple & elegant. Very well seen & photographed.
Liked everything about this image except the sand which looks a bit dull. Wondering if it could be brightened up a bit to add a pop.
But am not sure since I've never witnessed such a scene in person.

Mike Moats
12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey Robert, awesome image. love the comp, lighting and the color is really nice. Very well done.

Michael Pancier
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
this is beautiful Robert. I love the pristine sands.

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I like the feel and the mood of this image. You caught a great moment.

denise ippolito
12-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Robert, nice composition,colors and feel!

Jackie Schuknecht
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Simple, beautiful, and effective!!! Like the lighter white are which I assume is a depression in the sand?

Robert O'Toole
12-12-2008, 11:23 AM
A lovely composition Robert - simple & elegant. Very well seen & photographed.
Liked everything about this image except the sand which looks a bit dull. Wondering if it could be brightened up a bit to add a pop.
But am not sure since I've never witnessed such a scene in person.

Thanks for the comments Kaushik.

I tried to run an s-curve or to lighten the sand with a mask as you suggested but the blue washes out quickly.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Simple, beautiful, and effective!!! Like the lighter white are which I assume is a depression in the sand?

Thank you.

As I recall yes, this image was made on a dune and that lighter area is the leading edge of the dune falling away. I think this dune was up maybe 10-20 feet.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks to everyone for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Robert

Harold Davis
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
i love this image, robert. as noted, the simple and elegant composition are perfect. i downloaded the image into capture nx2 and used two color control points to try kaushik's suggestion. it worked pretty well. changes the dynamics. i could take it leave it. yours shows the softer side of early evening which i find to be rather romantic. nice job!

Robert O'Toole
12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
i love this image, robert. as noted, the simple and elegant composition are perfect. i downloaded the image into capture nx2 and used two color control points to try kaushik's suggestion. it worked pretty well. changes the dynamics. i could take it leave it. yours shows the softer side of early evening which i find to be rather romantic. nice job!

Thanks Harold.
Yes good point, the soft tones of the image are true to life. Sometimes more of a good thing isnt always better.

Robert

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Great composition Robert, love the soft colors and simple elegance.

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Robert,
Sorry I am late to the party.....but everyone above covered my original thoughts..........on possibly darkening the sky our bringing out more brightness in the sand.........the more I pondered this........the more I feel it would be exactly waht you said.........to much of a good thing..........in this I feel the image presented is just right........conveys the softness of the talc sand very nicely and the softness of the pink in the sky balances that very well........bumping up either........will destroy that balance.
Very nicely done!

Julie Kenward
12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Simple and elegant, Robert. What a beautiful moment you caught here. I especially like the plant coming out of the sand as the flower adds a touch of life to a barren scene.

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Nice work Robert. You obviously saw to balance the plant with the moon. I like the subtle tones in the sand. With a series of layer masks and different curves adjustments, you could accentuate the even more.

Keith Kennedy
12-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow! Really a beautiful image. Love the composition esp. with the moon!

Keith