PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Swallowtail

Mike Lentz
12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello, stepping out from the bird forum now. :)
I was actually photographing birds when this T.S. decided to stop on by.
For those that don't like frames, my deepest apologies. :p

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/102786979.jpg

Nikon D300 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 w/1.4x TC attached (yep, I was shooting birds)
ISO 800 ~ F/5.6 ~ -1/3rd EV ~ All my bird settings oops.

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Mike, Beautiful image!! Two minor points.. I would give the image a bit more canvas on the left and crop from the bottom up to a bit below the bottom bud. Well executed!

Julie Kenward
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Mike! Nice to see you posting in macro. This is a lovely swallowtail image. I am wondering if it isn't just a tad overexposed? The butterfly and BG are good but the liatris (?) seems to be a little bit on the hot side. Did you process this is RAW or jpeg?

I also think a little bit more room on the left would be nice as well. One thing I like to do is to make sure that the plant has a clean break in the frame at the edge. Whether or not you do this is totally up to you but I usually clone one or two of the smallest leaves out so the frame starts with the leaves either all in or all out. Again - its just a personal preference.

Mike Lentz
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Did you process this is RAW or jpeg?
Do people really still shoot in jpeg? :eek::eek::eek:

I shot in raw and I'm thinking dialing back the white tips would be good as well. I could add canvas too. All good advice. ;)

Julie Kenward
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Do people really still shoot in jpeg?

Mike, you'd be surprised...

Art Kornienko
12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree with Dave on the crop, but other than that it's simply a lovely shot with great colours and very eye catching.

Mike Lentz
12-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Mike, you'd be surprised...

I know, and I am! :confused: To choose to give up the bit depth for PP amazes me, but thats ones choice I suspect. Just not mine. :D

Mike Moats
12-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey Mike, a really beautiful image. Excellent details, colors, and BG. Agree with just a tad more room on the left. All my images are jpegs, never have shot a raw image.:)

Mike Lentz
12-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Hey Mike, a really beautiful image. Excellent details, colors, and BG. Agree with just a tad more room on the left. All my images are jpegs, never have shot a raw image.:)

And of course you happen to do wonderful work, Mike! :) Thank you for the feedback, its unanimous so I'll tweak it a bit.

Kaushik Balakumar
12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Such a beautiful image Mike !
Lovely colours & contrast. The beautiful looking butterfly is backed up by the fantastic smooth bokeh. Might agree with others on providing wee bit of space on the left but that apart, wud not touch anything else...

Don Lacy
12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Wonderful image for all the reasons stated already.

Mike Lentz
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.