PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Prime Hook, Delware?

Matt Nichols
12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I was thinking of extending my DelMarVa stay and checking out Prime Hook, DE. We will probably hit Bombay Hook as well. Anyone got any tips or know if hotspots there in late December?

thanks,Matt

Earl West
12-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Matt,
There is a photography blind and a short boardwalk trail through the marsh and woods at Prime Hook. There is a small amount of roads and a couple small ponds also. Prime Hook has the endangered Delmarva Fox Squirrel, though it is rare to see them this time of the year. I live close to it and Bombay Hook and I don't usually go to Prime Hook this time of the year. It's really better for canoing or kayaking. If you get close you can't beat Bombay Hook at and after sunrise. I shoot there almost every Sunday. There is a town about 10 miles south of Bombay Hook on the coast called Little Creek. There is a road off of RT9 next to the post office called Port Mahon Road, it runs along the bay for a couple miles till it dead ends at a boat ramp. It's best in the evening, putting the sun to your back shooting the shore of the bay. Usually lots of shorebirds and gulls. There's a photo blind but you have to pay attention along the road to see it. There is also a small State wildlife refuge just south of Little Creek on RT9 called of all things Little Creek Wildlife Area. All these places can be very productive, my favorite being Bombay Hook. Let me know if I can answer any questions about the area. The Delaware coast is a gem.

Matt Nichols
12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Earl,
Thank you, you have been very helpful. I was thinking of driving down to Delware Seashore State Park and the end of the second day to try and see some sea birds such as eiders, scoters and maybe the occasional pelagic bird such as gannets,etc. Is that a waste of time? I am bringing some birders with me and they are hoping to find a place to see a couple seabirds. I am not sure where to take them.

At Bombay , you shoot mainly Raymond pool this time of year? I was there about a month ago and that seemed to be the "hotspot".

thanks,Matt

Paul Lagasi
12-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Matt
Not sure how much time you have but I've had good luck with Seabirds on the Lewes to Cape May ferry round trip (walk-on) is $7.50 per person. When I took the ferry last time probably 500 gannets followed the boat all the way across and back. You never know what you can see on the water though. Sometimes fog can be a problem, if you pick the right day viewing is great from boat.
Also Cape Henlopen State park should be checked out.

Check out link below before you go it is great source for whats being seen in the Delaware

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/DEBD.html#1229090874

Also this link for all US and Canada:

http://www.birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html

Hope this helps...Paul

Earl West
12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Matt,
Have to admit that you stumped me on the Delaware Seashore Park. I've never been there in the winter. It's a hot spot for fishing and people going to the beach so most of the year, there are so many people there you can't turn around. Might be a good time to check it out. I'm sure they'll be no crowds.
Since the time you were at Bombay Hook things have changed, we have water in all the pools now. There's a lot going on in all pools. Every one was shooting Raymond pool because it was the only pool with a significant amount of water when you were there. I actually shoot Raymond pool less than any other place out there. The first of the Buffle Heads and Hooded Mergansers are starting to come in. Tons of Snow and Canadian geese, Pintails, Black ducks, Mallards, Green and Blue Wing Teal. Still some Cormorants, American Avocets and Wood Ducks here. A few tundra swans are here. Northern Harriers, Eagles and Red Tail hawks are common sights. I spent an hour and a half shooting a Red Tail, a couple weeks ago, I couldn't figure out why he held so fast in the tree until I realized there was a Bald Eagle in the tree behind me. I took pictures of the most beautiful Red Fox I've ever seen Sunday and I've taken a ton of fox pictures over the years. What a coat with a tail as bushy and thick as her body. When I go out this Sunday I'll check the birders list and let you know what else might be out there.
Happy shooting
Earl

Matt Nichols
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Sounds like a great time at Bombay. I might check out Silver Lake at Rehobeth as well. I would like to see some canvasback and maybe a few scaup and shovelers.

Matt Nichols
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Earl,

Looks like the weather might make a turn for the worse Sunday. I should get to Bombay Hook early Saturday and try to shoot there much of the day or Port Mahon Rd at sunset. Weather can turn with the drop of a hat as you know. Maybe we will get lucky...

Matt

Earl West
12-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it's not looking too good for Sunday. Good luck shooting and I hope you really enjoy your trip. If you get by the Bombay Hook visitors center. Check out the display and pick up one of the 2008 Calendar of Events and you can see some of my shots. The gates at Bombay Hook open about an hour before sunrise so you can get out there before daybreak if you like. It's pretty cool this time of the year to get out before the morning fly out of the snow geese.
Earl