Focal Length = 400mm
Color Space = sRGB
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
Handheld with Bushhawk
Calls used
Lying in the mud

Tony Whitehead
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
This is lovely, Jody. I really like the open bill and the water. The light captures the texture and colours of the feathers beautifully. Maybe a touch of CCW rotation and reducing the specular highlights on the bill?

Dean Ingwersen
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Great timing Jody, and the exp and sharpness is fantastic. I wonder if the crop is a little tight on the top though, and wish the line of the shore in the BG (I assume that's what it is) didn't cross the top of the birds head. Minor points though...great work again!

Alfred Forns
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
A beauty Jody !! Just the line intersecting the top of the head for me. Beautiful bird and love the overall feel !!

I was undecided as to including more of the water circle behind the bird but would move it out more, like the placing as is !! Big Congrats !!!

Nagesh Mula
12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Its a lovely picture with open bill and clean background. I would not be going with CCW rotation though as to me it shows the position just before it starts flapping its wing.

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Super timing, Nice pose and the sharpness looks good. Good work Jody.

The upper half of the image looks good but the bottom half esp the bird's neck and breast looks much flatter and lower contrast then the top half. Processing? Maybe S-H?

Robert

Arthur Morris
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Great light, colors, action, sharpness, head angle, and bow wave. Yeah, a bit higher to avoid the head/shoreline merge would have been better as would a VERT (but who would know what was coming...) All in all, spectacular.

Do you know the behavior? (I.e., what happened next?)

Stu Bowie
12-12-2008, 12:30 AM
This just pops from the BG so well Jody, and the Grebe is pin sharp. Stunning light and colours captured here too. Well done.

John Ippolito
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
I really like the unusual position, sharpness, the open beak, and the color saturation is very pleasing. Lovely and unique!