PDA

View Full Version : Onlooker

Kaushik Balakumar
12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
This image was made on an august evening during my hike in south-eastern parts of swiss alps. Herds of cows return back after grazing & the bells tied around their necks constantly make lovely sounds which reverberate in the valleys.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/106944527/original.jpg

The weather was totally overcast & cloudy. With an uninteresting sky, I decided to convert it to a monotone (first made it a B&W & then added a mild blue tint).
This cow stood there for a short while giving a curious look.

Techs:
Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm, handheld
f/11, 1/200, ISO200
(cropped some sky & a bit of FG)

Critiques welcome...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Kaushik it was asking directions how to get to California as it is where the cool cows live.

I like the pose of the cow, with the many different lines. Well composed

Robert O'Toole
12-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Well balanced comp and I like the blue tone. The flowing line of the shore leads your eye to lines on the horizon.

Some darkening of the top section of image would enhance the tonal balance.

Robert

Tom Dolezal
12-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Like the atmosphere and lines here Kaushik. Blue tint is an interesting addition which works for me. I think a bit of PP to bring out a bit more of the sky would help the image.

Tom

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Kaushik,
Really strong comp in this one.........the cow is well placed and I really like the in your face look of the cow.........agree with the others on a slight darkening of the distant sky and mountains.....but very slight....... as it will remove the nice feel.

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Kaushik,

I think the others captured my comments well. As I like the curve of the shore line and the repeating s-curve pattern towards the BG of the shore, I would have like to see a bit more of the scene on the left.