PDA

View Full Version : Problem with A Few Photos - CS3 to Windows

Lance Warley
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm looking for help with a problem that occurs for only some photos. The problem is - when I view them with the Windows viewer, the JPG looks vastly different than the JPG looks in CS3. The reds and oranges are especially distorted. The other colors look the same in CS3 and in Windows.

I think this isn't a workflow problem, because it only happens with some files.

Here's my workflow for these files and all other files: Open in raw as Prophoto, then process as psd in CS3. Convert psd from 16 to 8 bit, convert from Prophoto to sRGB, save as JPG.

The working color space for this and other files is sRGB. Monitor is calibrated with Spyder 3.

JPG's looks fine in CS3, looks like crap in Windows. Any help, please?

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Make sure the files are tagged as sRGB not just converted.

Look at the info bar when open in PS, this will tell you if they are tagged or not.

BTW my files look almost identical in vista or PS.

Robert

Lance Warley
12-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Robert.

Is the Info Bar the very top row on the screen? Mine says "Adobe Photoshop CS3 file name (RGB/8)?"

Is this the right place to look? If not, could you please help me with the steps to fix it?

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
yes that is the info bar, If you see an asterisk at the end of the document bar information (RGB/8*). This is indicating that the image is in a color profile other than your working space default. If your working space is Adobe RGB and your image is the same you would not see this indicator. But if instead you open a sRGB image and your working space is Adobe RGB you will see the profile mismatch asterisk. This is not necessarily wrong this is just an indication of a mismatch.
If you see a pound sign or number sign after bit depth (RGB/8#). This means your image has no color profile assigned. This means that Photoshop is not color managing the image so what you see on the screen may not be what you get if you try to post the image online for example. You can assign a color profile easily by going to: Menu>Edit > Assign Profile to assign the correct profile to your image. If you don't know what the profile should be, go to: Menu>Edit > Convert to Profile to convert the image to the correct color space needed.
If you dont see # or *, then the image is tagged with the same space as the working space default, so if this is aRGB then this explains the color mismatch.
Without knowing the working space default I cant say for sure.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks Robert.

Is the Info Bar the very top row on the screen? Mine says "Adobe Photoshop CS3 file name (RGB/8)?"

Is this the right place to look? If not, could you please help me with the steps to fix it?

Hi lance,

So if your default color space is Adobe RGB (aRGB) or ProPhoto or something then this is the problem and you should see a * in the info bar.

Robert

Lance Warley
12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I do see an *. Then I Convert To Profile from Prophoto to sRGB, which is part of my normal workflow. But the jpg in CS3 and the jpg in Windows looks vastly different for the reds and oranges.

Thanks for your patience, Robert.

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Ahh.... XP or vista?

I dont think XP viewer is colorspace aware so it is defaulting to monitor colorspace.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I think you can load the vista viewer, the vista photo gallery viewer, into XP.

Maybe that will solve the problem. The VPGV reads Exif and XMP.

Robert

Lance Warley
12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Robert. I will try.

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Dont thank until we find out if my tip solves the problem :-)

Robert

Lance Warley
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
It turned out to be an Embedded Profile Mismatch problem.

None of the three choices in the dialog box to fix it worked.

I'm toast on this. I'll deal with it by compensating in the psd to make the jpg look right.

Michael Pancier
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Lance, maybe it's time you went for a Mac ;-D

David Thomasson
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM
It turned out to be an Embedded Profile Mismatch problem.

One way to avoid mismatched profiles is to check these boxes in your color settings and set a policy to convert to your working space (mine is sRGB but your might be something else).

With the three boxes at the bottom ticked, you'll always get a warning if you're opening a file that doesn't have a profile for your working space.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2155/colorsetnl4.jpg

Lance Warley
12-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks, David. That's exactly what happened - I was always getting a warning until I set the policy to stay consistent with ProPhoto.

Meanwhile, it didn't fix the problem anyway. This is only happening to me with one group of photos from one trip. It didn't happen when I initially processed those files.

None of the suggestions above have fixed the problem. The only conclusion I can reach is that something is corrupted somewhere in the file.