PDA

View Full Version : Estero Lagoon Update 12/10/08

PeterGruener
12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Eva and I drove yesterday morning around 10:00 AM to Estero Lagoon for a scouting tour as we had other plans for that day.
We were not quite sure but could it be that some beach near the lagoon was taken away by nature? Some mangroves are now even at low tide in the water. As we had no photo equipment with us the lagoon was pretty slow (some Ibis, Snowy Egret) but the beach was pretty crowded with a large flock of Black Skimmers, Gulls and Pelicans. This would be a perfect moment for taking pictures in flight as beachgoers continued to scare the birds away for a second. Therefore, we decided to go there in the late afternoon this time with our gear but as it turned out the Skimmers, Gulls and Pelicans were all gone, some Ibis and Snowy Egrets as well as Little Blue Herons were around but nothing spectacular happened and/or the birds were in the shady spot of the lagoon. On our way back towards the Holiday Inn we saw one American Oystercatcher which have never seen before - at least this made the trip to the lagoon a little special - and on top of that a Bald Eagle passed through in the air and it is always great to view that bird gliding through the air.
We are hoping for better weather tomorrow, low tide and sunrise are almost even so we will see.

Take care,

Peter

Adams Serra
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi Peter,
Thank you for the update, I will try to go there tomorrow afternoon.

PeterGruener
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I am trying to be there tomorrow morning around sunrise - though it might be a little chilly and unfortunately my throat is a little sore. The Ding Darling Drive in the late afternoon was pretty nice with plenty to see.

Peter