PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rockthrush

Rene' Villela
12-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Good evening everyone!
I saw a few of these guys on the road today. I have many files but they are always on man made concrete things. They like concrete more than rocks! Finally I got a shot where he is on a rock!
I found it funny, but today I found myself paying so much attention to what was going on in the viewfinder. Thinking about all the tips and of curse, all the work that you guys share here. Hopefully I am improving!
Comments will be helpful! Thank you!

D300 - AF-S 300 f/4 : TC 1.7x, AP f/6.7, 1/250 sec, ISO 200, Cropped, No PP.

John Chardine
12-11-2008, 08:59 AM
René- You have good composition here and a beautiful background. Ideally I would crop so that the bird is a little bigger in the frame and the rock is less dominant. There's some softness in the eye which you may be able to fix with some careful edits in Photoshop.

I didn't realise the Rockthrush (Monticola saxatilis) occurred in Japan.

Rene' Villela
12-11-2008, 09:07 AM
John... He!He! I noticed that the rock was to big after I saw it on the post. I didn't noticed the eye! I'll get to it! What I wanted to tell you is that the Latin name in my book is Monticola Solitarious, then again I don't trust my book so much! :) As usual, thank you for your kind advices!

John Chardine
12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
René- That name (Monticola solitarius) refers to the Blue Rockthrush. You have a Rockthrush here. The Blue Rockthrush does not have the reddish brown on the breast.

Daniel Cadieux
12-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I found it funny, but today I found myself paying so much attention to what was going on in the viewfinder. Thinking about all the tips and of curse, all the work that you guys share here. Hopefully I am improving!
Comments will be helpful! Thank you!

Excellent! This is what it's all about:) The fact you are paying attention to what you see in the viewfinder is a great step forward. I agree with John about the crop and sharpness of the eye (should be easy to correct). Great BG - bet you saw that in your viewfinder! I wish the subject would have perched a little higher on the rock for you in order to see the feet better...

Stu Bowie
12-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Comp wise, a little off the bottom and LHS, and you have the perfect comp. Amazing colours shown in this, and what a great BG. Well done.

Rene' Villela
12-12-2008, 08:35 AM
John... I told you! That's why I don't trust my book so much! Well, is kind of kids book, the reason I bought it is because the Japanese they use in the book is really easy to understand. My reading is like 4th grader! :)

Thank you so much for your advices! I did a bit of PP to it and the cropping! Uhmm! I am not happy but... the bird is not really on top of the rock so I don't think it looks that well. Next time I see one of these guys on a rock I'll do it again. This specimen looked a bit too old.

Stuart.... :) Uhmm! I will find out what LHS means first! :) Thank you!

Rene' Villela
12-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Ah! Uhmmm! I forgot the image!