PDA

View Full Version : Photomatix ?

Rocky Sharwell
12-11-2008, 07:33 AM
I am about to take the plunge and buy photomatix software--I was wondering whether to get just the standalone version--or if I should get the PS plug in too...

Thanks
Rocky

Fabs Forns
12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I use the stand alone and all ou have ro do is save it and open it in PS. If the plugin does everything the other does, I'd get just that.
A student of mine googled Photomatix coupon and came out with one for $20 I think.

You'll enjoy and not only for HDR but to edit.

Robert O'Toole
12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey Rocky,

I have the stand alone version.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/order/pi_pmp_differences.html

Photomatix Pro is a standalone application. It includes HDR Tone Mapping and Exposure Blending among other features. Images produced with Photomatix Pro can be further processed in any image editing application.
The Tone Mapping Plug-In is a plug-in. It offers only one Tone Mapping method and works within Photoshop CS2, CS3 or CS4.

Advantages of Tone Mapping with the plug-in
- You don't have to leave Photoshop

Advantages of Tone Mapping with Photomatix Pro
- Integration with easy-to-use Batch Processing
- Ability to tone map larger HDR image files (the plug-in is limited to sizes between 30 and 40 MegaPixels).
- No need to change the bit-depth of the 32-bit HDR image after tone mapping.
- No need to adjust the exposure when Tone Mapping is applied directly after creating HDR image (with the plug-in, tone mapped image may show black artifacts when an incorrect 32-bit preview option is assigned by Photoshop).

Michael Pancier
12-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I got the plug in free when I ordered the pro program, but I never use it. I simply use the stand alone program and save the images in the same directory and import them into lightroom.

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Rocky,

Forget the plug-in and use the full program.