PDA

View Full Version : Winter Returns To The Portland Headlight

Grady Weed
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 12/10/2008 12:08:14, Shutter Speed 1/100Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1 1/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 30.0 mm. Hand held in wet, raw, cold biting wind and rain!

It's official, winter is now back! We now have ice, freezing rain, sleet and snow for 4 days. And this morning's shoot at the headlight was typical New England weather. Miserably wet and cold to the bone.

I was looking for something new to image the lighthouse with, when this tanker came swimming by. I liked the three points look to this one. 1) lighthouse tower 2) tanker and the 3) off shore light. The fog came rolling in just at the last moment the tanker was in the frame.

I can't wait for heavy snows and blowing winds for some real winter scenes here. And then February is on the menu for ENG, Joe Over street, Viera and so forth. 1 whole month of sun and breeding plumage birds, everglades saw grass! O baby!

Michael Pancier
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
that's how it looked (sans ice) when I got there in that major rain system that hit the area in October ....

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I like the tanker Grady - nice addition to the scene.

A suggestion, try selecting the lighthouse and buildings only and doing a local contrast enhancement on them only. Will make the LH clearer and retain the foggy look elsewhere. Might turn out cool.

Kaushik Balakumar
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Beautifully composed image Grady.
Wonder how this image would look in B&W...

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Grady,
I think the tanker adds a nice scale to the image. Another possible approach along Robert's suggestion......maybe just a highlight adjustment on the water.......my personal preference would be a little less on the sky........but it does balance the FG nicely. Well done.

Grady Weed
12-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.