PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane head-on

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Just returned this weekend from Bosque (spend more than 30 days there this year) and the conditions were superb this year, thanks Artie and the volunteer staff!

The morning this image was taken I was with a private workshop participant and due to the conditions we went straight to this spot, the NW cornfields. People say Bosque is crowded but the participant and I had the place alone til after 9 AM!!! Then we left and returned at noon and had it alone again for hours with perfect light and wind.
I filled 2 x GB cards and I still am behind on processing, which is unusual for me.

Thanks for looking, critiques welcome. Hope you enjoy it.

I will be leading 2 workshops at Bosque in 2009 with White Sands NM add on WS for 2 extra days.

Image Copyright 2008-2009; Robert OToole Photography

Nikon D300, Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR + 1.4X, 1/1600 @ 5.6
ISO: 400

Raymond Barlow
12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
wonderful capture Robert, the light couldn't have been much better.

david cramer
12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Spectacular light and great framing. Beautifully set off from the BG.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Robert nice to see your back from your tour of duty, heck you where there when I was and that was 5 feet of snow ago since I got back to Michigan on the Nov 16.

Great detail, placement and like the two tones of background.

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Raymond, the light was high clouds all day long, just about perfect.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Robert nice to see your back from your tour of duty, heck you where there when I was and that was 5 feet of snow ago since I got back to Michigan on the Nov 16.

Great detail, placement and like the two tones of background.

Thanks Dennis, wish we had some of that snow at Bosque this year !

Robert

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Lovely light and underwing detail. Was this from the day that I left? A big QM on the BKGR (you do know how to create a QM, right?) and then some Gaussian blur would make this strong image even stronger.

ps: Thanks for your co-leading and other help.

James Shadle
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
You answered my question.
The shadow indicates the sun high in the sky.
But the contrast looks great. High clouds!
Do you feel the golden foliage added to the warm feel?
James

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Lovely light and underwing detail. Was this from the day that I left?

Yes it was Dec 4th. Rebecca and I did very well in the AM with cranes then extr well around lunch with geese. I will post some tomorrow. I wish you could have been there!

ps: Thanks for your co-leading and other help.

Thank you for the opportunity it was a great experience and both IPTs were excellent experiences with great participants.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 09:14 PM
High clouds!
Do you feel the golden foliage added to the warm feel?
James

Yes James, this year I noticed something different. Some of the crane images show 2 distinctly different types of reflected light, blue or purple blue on the top side of the wing from the deep blue sky and gold/yellow light on the bottom of the wings from reflected light off of the dry plants and corn in some areas.

I will post one that shows this later this week.

Thanks for the comments.

Robert

Daniel Cadieux
12-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Magnificent wingspread - love the textures/layers of the feathers!! The light looks great, and so does the BG. I kinda feel like the brightest of the bright BG patches under the wing could be toned down just a bit to match the rest. A big WOW from me!!

Steve Maxson
12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Beautiful light, color, and sharpness, Robert. I like the diagonal composition of the bird. Well done.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Love the great flight pose and excellent detail Robert. The beautiful lighting puts it over the top for me. Glad you had a wonderful time in Bosque and we have great memories from last year.

Dean Ingwersen
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Superb Robert...really great timing, pose and BG. I wonder if the brightest areas on the wings could be toned down a tad though? Great!

Juan Aragonés
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes, this is one of those "wow" images Robert. The wing spreading and the landing action is fantastic. Great light and BG. The textures of the plumage are stunning. Very well done

Stu Bowie
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Wingspread at its best Robert. Stunning light, and this is pin sharp. Very well timed and captured.

Nagesh Mula
12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Its a beautiful picture with lovely BKGR.
I really liked the shadow of the birds bill on its body.

John Ippolito
12-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Stunning pose, BG, light and underside detail. Wonderful.