PDA

View Full Version : Painted Bunting

Rod Wiley
12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
This image was created this afternoon. I'm shooting from a blind using my 200-400 simply because my 500's minimum focus won't allow me to use it, I think the min focus on the 500 is around 13 ft while the 200-400 is around 5 ft. The blind is set up around 10 ft from where I have them pose for me. Where I place the mini feeder will make the bird stand correctly for the photo.

Nikon D300
200-400 f4 vr
ISO 200 1/30 f 7.1

www.rjwileyphoto@comcast.net (http://www.rjwileyphoto@comcast.net)
www.adayintheswamp.com (http://www.adayintheswamp.com)

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Killer bird, great colors, head anlge, and pose, but I think that you need to reconsider the placemment of your set-up so that you could work with cleaner BKGRs. I do love the look of the red throat patch. The Backyard Doctor is available for house calls.

David Roach
12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow!!! Love the colors, details and eye contact on this beauty!!!! While the BG is busy, this beauty would pop off any BG..... Can I come over and share that hide!!!!!!

Jack Zievis
12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Rod, this is a beautiful bird and the image displays its colors well. I think I might use the 500 with an extension tube as I believe the zoom lens is less sharp. Still, this image is an excellent presentation with good compositon although, I would have placed the subject a bit more to the left or added more area to the right. More detail (less saturation) in the red would be better if your original allows...

Rod Wiley
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Artie this is where the feeder is, the bunting was eyeing it up when I took that shot. The one with the cardinal shows the feeder and background. As soon as he leaves I remove the feeder and retake the shot then take the feeder out in PS. thanks Rod

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Rod. Are you trying to get the bunting on the perch that the cardinal is on???

Rod Wiley
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
The buntings wait very patently for the cardinal to leave. The buntings regular feeder is just to the right of this photo. By the time I got set up today I didn't get any good ones of the Buntings on the set up with the mini feeder. The branch is in a cement block so I can move it around for the best light. I have no problem getting them on the branch, they like the mini feeder,just didn't get any shots I liked. Rod

Raymond Barlow
12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
very nice shot Rod, what a great looking bird! I think the 200-400 is plenty sharp., minimum focus is just over 6 feet, while the 500 is 18 feet.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks Rod. May I assume that the perch for the bunting is thinner and has a good BKGR? If yes to both, I can't wait to see one in that situation....

Or do you use the fat perch that the cardinal is on for the buntings???

Rod Wiley
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Artie here's one with the bunting on it. I didn't like the light so I didn't use it.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Ah, I finally understand. You need a much thinner (and less bright) pech for the bunting...

Dean Ingwersen
12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
My goodness they are a stunning bird. Thanks for all the info on the setup...very interesting. I agree that a nicer BG would knock this out of the park, but even so the sharpness, pose and exp still make this an impressive image for me. Great stuff!