PDA

View Full Version : The Shack

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I shot this a couple of days ago between storms as we are getting hammered with snow as building are collapsing from the weight of the snow which is unheard of this time of year. We got another foot yesterday and I'm running out of room to push the white stuff

This shack has no worry about snow on the roof as it is in a huge open field and wind keeps the snow off the roof, but puts lots inside with it drafty decor.

markII
tripod
24-105 f/4.0
iso 50
1/10 @ f/22
0 ev
AV

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Well done Dennis. Nice clean lines around the edges. Moving left would have gotten the tree and building separated but might have jammed up the fence post, and the two trees. Hard to say. Overall, a nice pleasing arrangement of elements in this image and you retained detail in the snow.

Kaushik Balakumar
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Was just thinking same lines as Robert did with respect to moving towards left & shooting the image (to obtain better seperation of building from the tree).
Nice PP.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your help, I did move to the left, but lost the fence post and Michigan palm tree just like you thought Robert. I like the separation but though it weaken the composition

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Dennis, I like the second posting very much. I happen to like it better without the tree being so noticeable in the backround. I think the comp is more balanced this way. If this was mine I would take out the wire and post in the foreground. I think your 3 main areas of interest are sufficiently dominant and play well against each other. Nice job!

Kaushik Balakumar
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Liked the re-post Dennis. Image looks better with out the fence post IMHO.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Dennis,

I like the reposted image too. I have thought of mentioning a contrast tweak to you but don't remember why I didn't. What did you do?

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I took the fence out on this photo to make it cleaner

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Hey Curly,
Here comes a third opinion and of all things........late to the party!.........if I had to choose......it would be the last re-post.......as it is the cleanest...........my real preference would have been for you to step back a bit.........same angle.........keep the entire tree edge.........like in the first post........and the entire fence. Told you there was another pain responding!

All that being said........my feeling is that these are slight differences that would only further strengthen and very nicely composed image...your conversion choice is also an excellent one....really brings out the textures.....just minor tweaks to take it to the final level.

Dave Mills
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Curley
Looks Great! The 3rd posting is my favorite.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks everybody, I also had to work around two gas wells in the background so my angles where limited.

Roman you can't be late for the party as you bring the beer!

Also I forgot to mention I used Nik Silver Efex.

Thanks again for all your help it is really appreciated