PDA

View Full Version : Balanced Rock, Arches NP Pano

Dave Mills
12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
This was stitched together using 5 vertical images and cropped

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi DMills,

You can post at 1024x800 and at 1024 wide that would make this a lot more impressive and easier to see. Also please post the exposure, camera, lens, etc. used in the future. Thanks.

I like the composition. The larger spire on the left is well balanced with the three near the right and the small one right. The BG mountains add perspective. I might have like to see more room on the top and bottom and I feel that scenes like this can feel cramped. I posted a version were I reworked the sky using a curves adjustment. Post below is the curves adjustment used.

Also did a quick mask selection of the bottom edge dark parts and increased their brightness using curves and pulling up on the midpoint. The dark part draws the viewer's eye and needs to be better balanced with the other tones in the scene.

BTW, My selections were quick and dirty so.... may not be clean edges.

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Curves on the sky for above post. You can also select the sky, copy to a separate layer and change blending mode to multiply and adjust opacity. I prefer curves as you have more control.

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks Robert...I like the addition of more detail in the bottom.

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks also for showing the actual curves adjustment. I thought that 800 was the highest I could go....Will post at 1024 in the future

Michael Pancier
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Where did you shoot from? I'm there in Feb and can't wait. I like the version with the adjustments as well as it makes the cloud pop more.

Roman Kurywczak
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi DMills,
We ask that our members post their full name.........so we know how to address you.......that being said........I know the area very well and you handled the comp and exposure perfectly. I do not know enough about stitching.........but am pretty sure that a grad ND is not practical.......and since the rocks project up into the sky..........definitely impractical. .......I recommend doing a multiplied layer.....around 75% opacity.......to really bring up the drama in a exciting sky......Robert put the tutorial in the tonal range tweaks.....http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 This is a 2 part link.........but it is under part 1.........blending modes. Let me know your thoughts.

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Michael...I shot this across the street on a rock elevation in the front of balanced rock. It would be pretty noticeable when you get there. It's very easy going and the sun sets directly behind you.
If you get a dramatic sunset quickly go behind balanced rock(follow the walkway) and shoot back at balanced rock creating a silouette against the sky. It can be quite dramatic with the right sunset....

Dave Mills
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Roman, I tried what you recommended and it gave the sky more drama. Thanks for the tip. I looked everywhere for the area on the site that I could change my name and couldn't find it. Could you give me some direction? Thanks

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Roman, I tried what you recommended and it gave the sky more drama. Thanks for the tip. I looked everywhere for the area on the site that I could change my name and couldn't find it. Could you give me some direction? Thanks

PM Alfred Forns and he will help you.

Dave Mills
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Will do...thanks

David Kennedy
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
I feel that the composition from left to right is dead-on, but that both the top and the bottom feel too tight. A little more foreground and clouds would go a long way, at least for me.