PDA

View Full Version : Broad-billed Sandpiper

Svetoslav Spasov
12-10-2008, 06:25 AM
This image of Broad-billed Sandpiper (Limicola falcinellus) was taken at the Bulgarian Black Sea coast during the autumn migration this year. There were about 10 birds but this one was particularly interesting because of the limp it had. Due to the limping the bird was forced to use its wings more often than usual and it was not as boring as a feeding wader can be. I managed to take some pictures with spread wings and this is one of them.
Please for your comments and suggestions for improvement.<o></o><o></o><o></o>

40D, 300/f4 IS + 1,4x converter, ISO 400, f 8, 1/2000, tripod.

Daniel Cadieux
12-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Although unfortunate for the bird, it was good for you to spot the possibilities for wing action. As is, the composition looks alright but the dark spots at bottom are quite distracting. Also wish for a better head angle as it is turned slightly away from us...and away from the light. I like the details you captured under the wing, and the leg movement adds some additional dynamics to the image.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Great bird--I saw a juvenile in NYC years ago--and a nice pose. A HORZ might have been better to minimize the foreground crud. With the bird's head turned slighty away, the face is dark. The face can be easily lightened with a Quick Mask.

Robert O'Toole
12-10-2008, 08:14 PM
nice Sp. The low angle and blue water BG look very good.

Agree with Artie on the possible Horiz frame. I prefer the smooth blue to the OOF rocks in the FG.

Robert