PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Woodpecker (male)

Mark Schmitt
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Acorn Woodpecker:
Since becoming a member of this site I've become more critical of my own work: that is what I wanted; honest evaluation. It helps.

That said, I was at odds to determine what type of crop to do with this. In the end, I descided that the post and the bird were all in a vertical alignment and thuss opted for a vertical crop. I placed the bird to the right slightly to allow for more room for the fence post as it has a lot of wonderful texture and line. I thought of cloning out the little bit of white-wash on the wood; but opted not to.

EXIF:
Camera: Canon 30D
Lense: Canon EF 500 IS L
Metering: Pattern
Mode: Apeture priority
Exposrue: 1/2000 @ f 7.1; -.33 ev comp; Fill flash -1.33 comp (just enough to put some highlights on black plumage)
ISO; custom 5050K
Monopod: Gitzo

Stu Bowie
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
You have exposed the blacks very well in this, and this is so sharp. I like the seed in the beak, and for the comp, I dont any other one would work, so well done here.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Sharp, lovely BKGR and good EXP. The perch is too large for the bird. The head angle is, however, the biggest problem.

If the bird were not leaning forward so much, a tighter crop would have been appropriate.