PDA

View Full Version : Left Mitten, Monument Valley

Dave Mills
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
This is my first posting of an image so I hope all goes well. I shot this about 3 years ago late in the day. (one of my last shoots with slides)
This was scanned from a slide so I don't have specs other than it was shot at f22. I would have preferred the small bush on the left to be out of the image but curious to know how you feel.

Michael Pancier
12-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm simply amazed you managed to get pristine sand with no prints .....

I like how the brush anchors the image to the mitten. I'd maybe brighten the rocks on the left which are in shadow.

well done.

Dave Mills
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks Michael...You have to be somewhat lucky not to get prints. If you get a good breeze the night before it will erase alot of tracks. The area of dunes I was in is small so not a great amount of folks walk through there. I've been to this location in 3 trips and haven't had a problem.

Roman Kurywczak
12-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey DMills,
Nicely composed.......for me the shrubs balnce the image well. I do not mind the shadow area.......in fact....I may boost the contrast a bit more to even further emphasize the dunes textures and give even more tonal seperation........probably the jpeg compression. Very nicely done!

Dave Mills
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks Roman...I'm finding that the compression is dulling the image somewhat..

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Very very nice image with great texture.

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Excellent composition for the reasons mentioned. Agree with Roman's suggestion on making the sand texture more prominent. Nice work.

Art Kornienko
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I think the bushes look great and the contrasting colours of sand and sky are stunnning. I would have preferred a touch more of the sky at the top of the shot.