PDA

View Full Version : If you had five days of photography freedom ...

Michael Lyncheski
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I have five days available in February for a photography trip (birds, nature, or landscapes).

If it was you, what target rich location would you visit and why? Continental US only please.

Thanks!
Mike

James Shadle
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
One word, Florida!

Michael Lyncheski
12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
James:

I followed Art Morris' West Coast guide in 2006 and visited the Everglades area in Feb 2008. Both of those were great trips and I would not mind repeating them again someday.

Any suggestions for other Florida variations?

Thanks,
Mike

Roger Clark
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Tanzania!

Roger

Ed Grella
12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
South Florida in February

Bob Blanchard
12-09-2008, 09:18 PM
If you come down let me know. I'm in Fort Myers. Nothing like it in February!

Todd Frost
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
As you have requested not Florida or west coast and continental US only, my vote would be winter wildlife in Yellowstone.

Todd

Michael Lyncheski
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Todd: Yellowstone in Winter sounds very intriguing. Have you done that?

Bob: I might take you up on your offer if I head back to Florida.

Thanks again,
Mike

Todd Frost
12-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Michael, yes I have and am planning for mid Feb again. I have been in winter, summer, early spring and late spring. Early spring and winter are my favorite so far. Hope to make a fall trip also for the elk rut.

Todd

Roger Clark
12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Mike,
Sorry, I didn't read far enough to see you specified continental US (but Tanzania is great). Many people like Yellowstone in winter. It is on my list but haven't done it. A year or so ago a huge influx of owls from Canada moved in to Minnesota I think it was February. So if you do not get locked in with reservations, wait for open opportunities. A mountain lion had new cubs near Jackson Wyoming a couple of years ago, and photographers came from all over to photograph them. If you go through the Denver airport, check out the Mangelson (sp?) gallery in the main terminal for pictures of the lions (as well as many others). So again the lesson is watch for opportunities. Where the animals are can vary from year to year, except for hot spots like Florida. There are still birds in Bosque, but the are getting ready to migrate north and depending on when in February, there may be more or less birds.

Landscape: the Southwest! Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, the Colorado rockies, and the Tetons are my favorites.

Roger

Roger

Maxis Gamez
12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
As much I would like to advice Florida. I would hit Homer, Alaska!! Bald Eagles!!

James Shadle
12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
It almost boils down to species.
Figure out a target species or habitat and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

James

Eric Silvi
12-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Another vote for Yellowstone. I have been there in spring and fall. I would love to go in the winter. Most of the winter photo workshops to Yellowstone seem to happen in February.

Paul Lagasi
12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Texas for wintering birds (Buntings and Longspurs) down from Larado to South Padre Island....or East coast of Texas from Corpus Christi to Brownsville (South Padre Island)...Whooping Cranes (migrating flock) and shorebirds..I agree with James though depending on what species, I was after would help in decision...Paul

p.s but Florida very close second

Michael Pancier
12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm spending my 5 days in Feb at Arches/Canyonlands NP in Utah ....

but if you want birds, go out with James on his boat....spoons galore

Rocky Sharwell
12-12-2008, 06:48 AM
It all depends what you want to shoot--If it is birds--A combo of the James' Spoonbill boat for spoonbills and other waders and Ft. Desoto for the itty bitty shorebirds. You can maximize your shooting by flying into Tampa which is a really great airport close to Ft. Desoto.

Michael Lyncheski
12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks all for the good advice. Florida has the most appeal because of the abundance of birds plus it is much warmer than here in NJ at that time of year.

Rocky: Desoto and the board sounds like a pretty good combo. I will look into it.

Paul: South Texas has always been on my list. I will check that out.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Mike

Jack Zievis
12-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Hello Michael, Your probably looking to fly if you only have 5 days. If your thinking of driving and your looking at Florida, I would suggest stopping at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine on your way south. Its a bit early but nesting activities should be underway. The photo ops are steady with its high concentration of Egrits, Herons, etc..You could hit lots of spots on the east coast south and return north on the west coast. Its a lot of driving but this well planned adventure would provide lots great locations. As I'm planning your trip..its too aggressive for the amount of time but something to think about if your time period can be expanded or another time in the future....

Charles Glatzer
12-18-2008, 05:04 PM
If it is mammals and visual inspiration you are after here in the US...Yellowstone wins hands down. But, you have to love the snow and cold weather, as I do.

Chas

Alfred Forns
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
.... Fabs and Judy just came from Yellowstone and had a -22 day !!!