PDA

View Full Version : Spoonbill

Michael Lloyd
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
This poor guy/gal needs some help. I've done the best that I can with it but the image has a few problems. For one thing this is a panning shot taken with a hand held 600mm f4 L IS :eek: For another it's side lit which wreaks havoc on the off side exposure. It's also about a 100% crop (1/2 of the full frame?) but that typically isn't a factor unless I'm printing large.

It wasn't a planned shot. I was taking my camera out of the pickup and getting it ready to shoot when I spotted the Spoonbill coming toward us. I pulled up on the Spoonbill and got a few shots of it. This is the better of the group. If anyone has any suggestions, including toss it, I'm ready to hear them.

EOS1DsMKII
600 f4L IS
ISO 100

1/1,600@ f4

http://images110.fotki.com/v1113/photos/4/42560/4428917/Spoonbill_M4L5496-vi.jpg

Nonda Surratt
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Michael,

Can't help you onebit on post processing, but I do love the light coming though that wonderful pink wing

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-19-2008, 05:56 PM
michael -
as no one's offer a fix, here's something you could consider assuming it's in RAW with good sharpness/focus

open a 2nd copy of the image as a separate layer with positive exposure correction (+1.5 to 2.0) which will recover details in the dark areas, then blend it into the final composite photo where needed. you could also open a 3rd with negative correction for the white highlights if it really bothers you

a fair bit of work, but you'd likely get a better final product

good luck

Michael Lloyd
01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Nonda- Thank you. Me too.:)

Peter- Thanks. I'll give that a try. It is a RAW image. Hopefully I'll be able to improve it. Thanks again.