View Full Version : Great Crested Flycatcher

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
D300/80-400VR @330mm
Gitzo 3531LSV/Markins M-20
1/500 @ f/5.6
ISO 200
Flash Ex Comp +1.0

Taken from a blind near the nest cavity.

Arthur Morris
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Way nice first post. When was this image created? Is that a cicada that the bird has?

Overall too light. Needs contrast boost and more room top (especially) and bottom. Great head angle and pose. Bummer on the extra branch.

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 12:01 PM
That's what it looks like to me. I took this photo, and many others during a two week period in late June of this year. I was trying to capture images of the birds with a variety of prey. Even have an image of this bird or its mate with a ground skink.

Thanks for the critique.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Welcome to BPN Dave!

Artie's got it covered, and I agree 100%. That must have been something to see it with a ground skink :-) Looking forward to more...

Arthur Morris
12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Man, I would love to see the best one with the skink. Great situation.

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I'll post it later today but it has to be on the forum that allows man made structures as the flycatcher is at the nest box entrance hole.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Welcome to BPN and very nice first post. I like the pose, head angle and the snack adds to it. I agree regarding more contrast and a wider crop. I might clone out part of the branch touching the bird's chest. Keep them coming!

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks again for the critical comments. This is a full frame image so the mistake was in composition and I will pay closer attention to that in the future. The ground skink image will be posted shortly.

Harold Davis
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
big welcome to BPN, dave!! agree with the contrast boost. was this taken in NC? love the pose and the "fly" in its mouth. really nice capture!!

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks. The image was captured in NC. The flycatchers arrive here every Spring about mid-April. They either migrate from south FL or from Central America and usually find a natural cavity. These were the first to use a nest box in my neighborhood.

Dan Brown
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Welcome Dave. Nice shot, especially because it shows the undertail pattern which seals the ID as Great Crested FC! I agree with the above comments re: contrast boost so in my repost, I adjusted the image a tiny bit with a levels layer, curves layer, Hue/sat layer and selective color layer adding only a bit of blacks to the blacks and grays. I also lightened the birds face a little with a selective shadow/highlight filter and sharpened about 30% with NIK Sharpener Pro. All adjustments were done in PS CS3. I think that the bird still needs room at the top and bottom though:D

Dave Kilpatrick
12-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Well I can see I have a lot to learn about the editing process. Nice job.

As I said earlier, this was a full frame image so I need to be more aware of composition in future.