PDA

View Full Version : Thank heaven it can't talk....

Jeni Williams
12-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Decided to do a bit of off - camera flash practice and after "flashing" this guy 3 or 4 times he hopped onto the perch and gave me "THE LOOK" .......... says it all!
Thank heaven he can't talk!!:o:D
(It is a Village Weaver)

Canon EOS1D mk11
Flash
focal length 600mm ( 300mm & 2x)
f/8
exp. time 1/250sec
exp. comp + 0.67step

(had cable-tied the flash to a branch to the left of the camera and was experimenting with different exp settings both on camera and flash)

Alfred Forns
12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
A keeper in any way Jeni Love that expression, bg and sharpness !!! Maybe is better if he couldn't speak :)

If you want to get super critical you could go over the real foot and selectively sharpen. The front is in line with the eye so its in the same plane. At this distance the dof is minimal even if you stop down. Big Congrats !!!

Gus Cobos
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi Jeni,
I like this very much..this is a keeper in my book. I like the evil look...:eek::cool:

Nonda Surratt
12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Def keeper Jeni, everything worse so well!

Julie Kenward
12-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Only thing that I can think of that might improve this is if the two tones of the BG had a smoother gradation. You might try doing a screen mode layer to lighten the darker area and then blend it with a quick mask so the change from light to dark is more subtle.

I bet I know what words he'd use if he COULD talk!

Jackie Schuknecht
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
The Killer Village Weaver. Nicely done Jeni, like Julie's idea of smoothing out the BG, would make it even more outstanding. The yellow looks great and those eyes!!! Cool!

Jeni Williams
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't know how to do the screen mode layer thingy ( what adjustment layer do I use?) but have blended by painting and sharpened right foot as per Al's suggestion.

Phil Ertel
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
One mean looking bird. I love the pose. I also like how the colors of the background complement the bird. I agree with Julie's suggestions on the background.

Regards,

Phil

Lance Peters
12-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Is this one of the cast of Alfred Hitchcocks Birds movie - LOL

Dare you to take another one :)

Gorgeous BG - Eyes and pose. Super