PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur-crested Cockatoo in Daintree Rainforest canopy

Tony Whitehead
12-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Image made earlier this year in Queensland, Australia. Photographed from a tower up through the rainforest canopy at the Daintree Discovery Centre. I was fortunate to be there at a time that a couple of Cockatoos were flying relatively close before moving off to another area of the forest.
Nikon D300
Nikon 70-200 @ 200mm
ISO 800 1/2500 f4
Matrix +0
Comments and advice appreciated.

Juan Aragonés
12-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Tony this one is fantastic. The pose of the bird can´t be better and the eye contact is very neat and nice. The composition is perfect and you did a very good exposure job here. I think that this image can be improved warming the color just a bit and increasing the saturation on the beautifull yello crest and wing/tail feathers. I also like the BG with lots of details about the habitat.

Rene' Villela
12-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Incredible shot Tony! Thanks!

Stu Bowie
12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
What a great contrast in colours here Tony. The cockatoo really stands out against the dark green BG, and even better with the outspread wings. I also like the light showing through the wings. Very well captured.

Doug Brown
12-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Beautiful bird, perfect position, and I love the way the white bird stands out against the dark green of the jungle! Congrats on a fine image!

Arthur Morris
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Fantastic. Advice: make more images like this.

For the repost I followed Juan's suggestion, did a 40% Linear Burn on the back of the neck and face, and cropped a bit from behind and below.

Arthur Morris
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
ps; After looking at the image I think that it held up pretty well.

bill kominsky
12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm really sorry here Juan that i have to agree with all of the above LOL :)- the image is absolutely stunning, congrats on something super.

Bill

Harold Davis
12-09-2008, 04:49 PM
awesome tony!!! love the pose!! that had to be a fantastic site!!

Tony Whitehead
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Artie, your repost with Juan's suggestions is a definite improvement on my effort. I had used the linear burn on the whites but hadn't thought to locally do more on the neck and face so I have learned something more which is the aim:D

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
You are most welcome Tony. It is the least that I could do as a thank you for all of your great critiques.

Dan Brown
12-11-2008, 12:27 AM
The bird looks great in original and even better in the repost. That linear burn is a good technique. I love being able to count the primary feathers! I thought that the only thing that would improve this image was to reduce a bit of BG noise, so in my repost of Artie's repost, I protected the bird and reduced noise in the BG with Noise Ninja (no sharpening but heavy on the NR):).

Arthur Morris
12-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the repost Dan. My less than discerning eye does not see any differences in BKGR noise.