PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Road

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I took this last Sept. in Wyoming, in the BIg Horn Mountains. Wondered whether you liked it as much as I do.

Mac

denise ippolito
12-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I like it very much! The sky is beautiful, the road leading in is very nice

Bruce Murden
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Mac - what strikes me (and I like it!) is the shapes in this view -- lots of triangles of different colors: the sky, the mountain, the hillside, the yellow-green trees, and the road. Makes for a lovely comp, and I hope you see these shapes when you're composing (sometimes it's more subconscious, but we should all try to actively see those shapes when composing).

I like the framing of the tall trees as well, but the top horizontal branch in UR should either be cloned out, cropped out, or fully present. A tiny little change to this good scene.

Julie Kenward
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Bruce stated my thoughts exactly. Cut back that top branch on the UR and you've got a wonderful image here.

Robert Amoruso
12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Mac,

I agree with the above comments on this being well composed and in particular the UR branch. A bit of a crop at the top will get rid of that and strengthen the image.

There is a halo between the mountains and sky as well as the trees and sky. Looks like whatever correction you might have done on the sky, etc. caused this.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Robert,
You are absolutely right about the hallo. I darkened the sky by 2 stops by using two adjustment layers with the blending mode set to multiply. and then created a layer mask over the group. When I painted out the mask from the non-sky portion of the image I got a little high on the mountain and into the sky. didn't notice it until I posted it. Here is the cropped version of the image with branch out of the UR. Thanks all for your coments.

MAc

Roman Kurywczak
12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Mac,
If you look at the central peak........the halo is still there....some work will correct this and is no big deal.......I did a slow crop.....cropped slightly.....until I found a place I liked..........still had to clone/heal a bit.......but found a place I liked. I don't mind the 2nd crop.....mine was more in line with offering something else........to see if you like it. As mentioned above....the road is is nice leading line and the colors are peak/sweet! Nicely composed and it is a nice luxury to have on multiple crops!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I like Roman repost the best as my eye travels down the road better. Very nice Mac

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys. I agree with you. The second crop is better. Thanks for the trouble.

Mac