PDA

View Full Version : Peregrine in the dunes

Grace Scalzo
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Braved the weather to do some photography this past Sunday and was rewarded by this most cooperative young peregrine.

Thank you for looking.

1/400/ ISO400, f8
50D, 50o f4. tripod

Mike Lentz
12-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I like the BG complimentary colors in this image! The exp is spot on!

Samir Begovic
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Very clean looking image.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think I have seen a more perfect image of a Peregrine. Ever, it is just wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing this image with us!

Mac

thomasryan
12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
SWEET BIRD! BG, perch, color...I love it all!
This is my first look at a juvenile peregrine...thank you!

Doug Brown
12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Love the images you've captured of this Peregrine Grace. Gorgeous stuff!

denise ippolito
12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Really nice, One fine shot!!! Exposure and BG are perfect

Tony Whitehead
12-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Beautiful colours, textures and details. Well done, Grace.

Fabs Forns
12-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Grace, I am sooo proud of you, my favorite of yours ever :)

Ron Day
12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Impeccable detail and exposure - simply beautiful!

Stu Bowie
12-09-2008, 12:10 AM
An outstanding image. Congrats.

William Currie
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Really nice image

Juan Aragonés
12-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Superb image Grace, the details on the plumage are fantastic and love the composition, simple but powerfull. By the way, I am sure that this is not a pregrine, not sure what species is but the feather pattern on the head is not of a pregrine. Maybe it is a gyrfalcon or one of those hybrids that are widely breed for falconry.

Rene' Villela
12-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Really nice! so much detail. He was very cooperative but he looks sad! :) Thank you for sharing it!

Doug Brown
12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Could be a Prairie Falcon.

Dan Brown
12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Very good shot! I agree with Doug, I think this is a Praire Falcon. I think a peregrine would be spotted on breast rather than streaked, as in this bird. Also, the face pattern fits Praire Falcon. IMO:)

Grace Scalzo
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments. As to the id of this bird, maybe our ornothogist would weigh in? This bird has been the subject of much discussion....we live on Long Island, so doubtful that it's a prairie. I think it's a young, blond male pere, someone suggested arctic race? He is extremely tolerant of people, but not banded, and an accomplished hunter. The only problem with him is that he harrasses the snowy owls. I think you'll be seeing more images from him as he's been well photographed by many of us here on LI.

Steve Maxson
12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
A superb image Grace, for all the reasons noted above. I don't have anything more to add other than to comment on the ID. After checking out Sibley, this is a peregrine. Why? Prairie falcons have a white area behind the eye and a relatively pale back. This bird has neither of these features. Also, juvenile peregrines have a pale crown (which this bird has) versus the brownish crown of the prairie falcon. Hope this helps. :)

Wayne Richardson
12-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Grace

A lovely Peregrine captured to perfection & I also like the nordic blonde analogy. :)

I'd go with the race tundrius (Alaska, Canada & W Greenland) rather than one of the other arctic SSP/forms from further east. This bird is actually very similar to 2 images of a juvie male tundrius in 'Raptors of Europe & The Middle East - Dick Forsman'.

Cheers: Wayne

Jim Zipp
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Congrats Grace, this is one of the finest juvi peregrine shots I've seen! My guess is that it's a pale type tundrius bird but hard to say because when the reintroduction of this species in North America began, birds were used that had roots from around the globe which is why their plumage varies so much.

Ed Grella
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Awsome shot! Congratulations!

Arthur Morris
12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow! This is gorgeous. Love the pose, the light, and the bird's attitude. Even the perch is great. I do, however, have a suggestion for improvement, or at least a question: if you have gotten maybe a foot lower could you have placed the bird against and all-buff background? As is, the white sand wedge is very bright and somewhat distracting. Still, this is light years better than anything I have on this species.

Grace Scalzo
12-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Artie, I do have some with an all buff bg. There was some tall goldenrod in betweeen the bird and me and that was the lowest I could go to avoid getting it in the foreground. (And the best angle) It was a super windy day, and as the session progressed and the bird did not appear eager to fly, I lowered my tripod and tried to shoot when the wind blew the goldenrod out of the way. Ended up with about 6 keepers from that idea. As for the wind, I could not even hold my lens still, so I trained it on the bird, tightened it down, used my best long lens technique,and relied on IS. Most of my shots are sharp from this, even tho it's not usually recommeneded.

Arthur Morris
12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your response. You did great. If I can beat this cold, I will try to get out there when I visit my Mom.