PDA

View Full Version : Butterscotch

Aristotle Georgiou
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi to all,

this was taken this morning, but I haven't been able to ID this BF at the moment.

All comments are more than welcome.

D200
150mm f/2.8
1/60's
f/29
ISO 320
External flash

Ed Vatza
12-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Very nice image, Aristotle. The Butterfly looks sharp and the background is lovely. I must say that I did find myself turning the laptop sideways to take a better look at the butterfly. This could also work with a 90 degree rotation. But then I sometimes find myself a bit to traditional at times! :)

Mike Moats
12-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey Aristotle, beautiful work, good sharp details and nice BG. I'm with Ed and the upside down comp. This type of pose seems to look fine when I'm in the field looking at them, but for some reason in a photo it does seem natural to turn it upside down. Very well done.

Julie Kenward
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Agree with the others...I'd go horizontal or flip the image so it looks more realistic. You did a beautiful job and I promise I'll check my butterfly book when I get home tonight and see if there's anything that can help with the ID. If I remember right, you might be looking at a moth here instead of a BF. I think (don't quote me) that butterflies have antennae more like a human hair and moths have the ones with the little dots along the way. Again...been awhile since I looked that up so I'll double check.

His eyes look to be of the "skipper" variety if that helps.

Gus Cobos
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Well done Aristotle,
I like this as presented. The color rendition and sharp details are superb. The soft pale background compliments your subject very well. I like the soft texture on the wings...good show...:cool:

Aristotle Georgiou
12-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Thank you all very much for your kind comments and suggestions.

Hi Jules, I appreciate the help.

I was told from a friend that it might be a Common Grass-blue - Zizina labradus.