PDA

View Full Version : Outtake #1 - Brown Pelican...

Dan O'Leary
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
This will be the first in a very long series of images I plan to post documenting my uncanny ability to get near perfect pose, lighting, exposure, focus and action only when the subject is in front of something really horrible looking. ;)

I'd call this unsalvageable but I've seen magic worked in these forums before so have at it!

This is a quick proof of a Brown Pelican landing near Sanibel, FL.

2008:01:13 16:24:21
1dm3, 100-400mm @ 260mm
1/500 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: +1
ISO: 1000
AF mode: AI Servo AF
Drive: Continuous
White balance: Auto

Alfred Forns
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
This brought a big smile to my face Dan Seems like he is saying I'm here Dan !!!!! Agree with your assessment

Judd Patterson
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey Dan, you sure did nail the action in this photograph. The background is simultaneously a major problem and very realistic. ;) These are the areas where most of us see Brown Pelicans, but we try our hardest to hide that fact. Your technique looks great and they can't always fly in front of man-made objects...next time will be the charm!

Dan O'Leary
01-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks, guys. You know, Judd, I never really thought of Pelicans as attractive until I started taking pictures of them. Living in FL all my life they become so much background noise. Through photography I have found new appreciation of them.

James Shadle
01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Don't delete this image.
You might be suprized at what works for "stock". Someone may be advertising a new marina etc.
So you never know.
James