PDA

View Full Version : One in a Million

James Shadle
12-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I'll add an image soon, kinda busy right now. I would like to know if I should finish this piece.

One in a Million

As I begin each of my workshops, I like to ask four simple, but important questions of my participants. These four simple questions, are questions that should be considered by all aspiring photographers.

To begin the questioning I ask, who among you would like to be a competent photographer? To no surprise, almost everyone has their hand up to reply in the affirmative. I then ask the group, who among you would like to be a very good photographer? Again, almost everyone has their hand up to reply in the affirmative. My third question is who would like to be a great photographer? Of course, most if not all of my workshop participants, want to be great photographers.

My final question is, do you want to be “One in a Million?

No surprise, the vast majority of those who are asked my final question reply; yes I want to be “One in a Million”.

Saying you want to be an elite photographer who is capable of creating beautiful images, a photographer who has skills that are “One in a Million” is easy. Achieving that goal is anything but easy.

I consider myself to be “One in a Million”. Whether my photography is or not is subjective. If nothing else is, my attitude and the way I strive to improve my skills as a photographer is.

My hard work and constant effort to improve my skill set has enabled me to win numerous international photography contests, sell images and articles to magazines like Outdoor Photographer, Audubon, National Geographic Adventure, Pop Photography to name just a few. Winning contests (I no longer enter contests, I won’t compete against my clients) and being published is undoubtedly rewarding. Creating images I find pleasing and helping others create images they find pleasing is by far the most rewarding.

The question now is how do you become “One in a Million”?

The first step in a achieving this lofty goal is to have a positive attitude. Next you must prepare to work hard, prepare to practice, practice, practice and prepare for early disappointment and frustration.

The next step on the road to your goal of being a photographer who can be considered “One in a Million”, is learning as much as possible about your art. Photography done well is art! Learning is an ongoing process. I can state as fact, every outstanding photographer I know, will tell you they are still learning.

To be continued?

Lance Warley
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Should you continue? Sure. But be warned - you're done with the easy part.

Now for the hard part. Your challenge will be to stay away from the platitudes, even if they're true.

How can you answer this question differently from others? That's what will determine if this is just another litany on a heavily discussed subject (work hard, stay humble, blah blah), or, well, One In A Million.

James Shadle
12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
You are correct sir.
The reason I started this was because of the many carbon copy "get great quickly"
articles. I hope to bring something new and fresh to the table.

Thanks for checking it out,
James

denise ippolito
12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I found your piece to be very interesting and would like to read more.

Julie Kenward
12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree that you should continue but Lance nailed it...if it is the same ol' list of platitude it's going to become less than one in a million.

I'd try to focus in on the qualities you listed but really stop and think about them. We all practice, practice, practice but do we all get better? Why or why not? What underlying quality or trait leads someone to become better? Perhaps thinking about the process of how you went up the ladder...what got you from rung one to rung two? Three? Four?

Let me give you a quick example.

I realized the other day that I was constantly increasing the contrast of my images in post production. It finally dawned on me to increase the contrast IN THE CAMERA instead. Paying close attention to what you do and how you do it and then adapting what you do as a result of that knowledge is a key part of growth. What's the saying? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

When they practice they have to know what they are practicing. Better framing...better composition...do they know how to look for the light? James, I would challenge you to think about how your best photos as a whole differs from the other 999,999 photographers and think about how that happened. I think THAT is the answer to this lesson.