PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Jay stares back

Kerry Perkins
12-07-2008, 06:23 PM
He seems to be saying "whaddayou lookin' at?".

Canon 50D ISO 400 1/500 sec f/7.1
EF70-200mm f/2.8L + 1.4x TE @ 280mm
Converted from 15MP RAW in DPP then PS work

Gus Cobos
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Kerry,
Welcome to the BPN family. I like the base composition. You were shooting in harsh light and the light angle was a bit off. Its best to capture these guys with the sun at your back. The lens flares in the background are a bit distracting; taking away the attention and focus from your main subject. The bird is placed just right in frame; however, I would crop about 1/4 to 1/3 from the right of the frame to eliminate the negative space. Would also tone down the white lens flares. or blur the background and then use a liquefying brush to even it out...the details are sharp and the color rendition of the blues are good...looking forward to your next capture...remember, watch the light, and keep the sun at your back...:cool:

Kerry Perkins
12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Thank you Gus! How is this one? I followed this bird around all day and he just refused to get into the right light. Guess I need to pay the models better... :D

Harold Davis
12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
nice job on the repost kerry!! gus covered the techs quite nicely!

Gus Cobos
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Well done Kerry, much, much better...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Nonda Surratt
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Kerry welcome and nice repost! Good job

Kerry Perkins
12-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks all! This is my fourth post here and I really appreciate the feedback. This is without a doubt the best way to learn and I appreciate the time you all spend with the critiques.

Also big thanks to the site admins and moderators for vanquishing the spammers!

Alfred Forns
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Kerry Agree with the fine advice and can add you could try some fill flash when the bird is not cooperating. The Canon flash efficient and not hard to use.

I normally advise with harsh light to set the flash comp to zero but shoot a quick burst of three. First will be full, second less light and the third zero. Works well !!!

Kerry Perkins
12-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you Alfred. I frequently forget about the fact that the flash on the 50D has a guide number of 13/43 and could help me out in these situations. Currently debating with self between a Metz and a Canon flash. Any thoughts? PM me if you like.

Lance Peters
12-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi Kerry - gus has it covered - you will learn lots here and your shots will improve rapidly.

looking forward to more.