PDA

View Full Version : BPN "LOOK and FUNCTION" Almost There.

James Shadle
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Here is the low down on the way the forum look and function has changed over the last few days.

The cause:
Recently, over a 5 day period, our team of moderators banned over 350 spammers. Our moderators did such a great job it's unlikely our members realized how offensive in nature and voluminous the spam had become.

We are on the map now, our demographic and traffic make us a natural target for spam and other Internet security risks.

It was absolutely necessary to upgrade our forum software to the most secure version available. I am happy to say we have stopped what is called "robot" attacks by spammers and virtually no spam is getting through. Of course our moderators stand on guard against individuals who try to post spam messages.

The security upgrade caused conflicts (to say the least!) with our custom forum layout and several custom features we had built into the software code.
The upgrade documentation suggested backing up our database before attempting the upgrade (of course),however the possibility of custom code conflicts was something not mentioned.

You will see the look and features you are familiar with as well as some exciting new "Member" features coming on-line as the code is modified to work properly with the security upgrade software.

The look of BPN is slowly returning and everything seems to be running properly. Getting the thumbnails back up is priority one! As soon as the code is ready, we will have the thumbnail functionality back on.

Everyone has been very patient and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I'm a photographer, not a software engineer. I'm a photographer who thought bringing together a team of elite photographers from around the world, all who work for free, teaching their craft by example and critique was a good idea. I now think it was a great idea!

Our staff and ownership group(Artie,James,Alfred,Fabs,Blake,Robert and Robert) have made it possible to help photographers from all over the world rapidly improve their ability to create beautiful images. We know we aren't everyones cup of tea. As a matter of fact, if you just want to have your ego inflated with a "great shot" comment, we probably are not for you. If you want to be a part of a growing community of international photographers who love to have fun, teach, learn and show off a little:D. BirdPhotographers.net is the place for you.

We are going as hard as we can, please continue to be patent.
I would like to mention Chris Ober has been offering his Vbulletin expertise, Blake is working on a top secret BPN/BAA project (he better be close to finished) and our staff and owners are all going "above and beyond" to get us through this transition.
Again, thank you.
James

PS The orange buttons will be replaced with the blue!

Gus Cobos
12-07-2008, 03:57 PM
It's an honor and my pleasure being part of the family Mr. Shadle... we all go through growing pains and thats what we are here for to help each brother and sister out...:D:):cool:

Dan Brown
12-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Thank you Mr. Shadle for keeping BPN clean! I posted this question in another forum which was not the proper place for it, so I've reposted it here. I can't seem to get the "New Posts" link at the top of every page to work? When I click it, I am directed to a "Database error" page with links to go back or to the forum home page? Is this part of the update problems of late? <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

James Shadle
12-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Thank you Mr. Shadle for keeping BPN clean! I posted this question in another forum which was not the proper place for it, so I've reposted it here. I can't seem to get the "New Posts" link at the top of every page to work? When I click it, I am directed to a "Database error" page with links to go back or to the forum home page? Is this part of the update problems of late? <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

Dan,
That is related to the upgrade.
Thanks for pointing that out,
James aka Darth aka Froggie, Jamie to my wife and mom, rarely "Mr.Shadle":)

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I have to say, James, when you get a moment to breathe you really should go take a look around the forums. There are more people than ever who have commented this weekend that they can't believe how many great tips and comments they are getting from people who are viewing their images and more than one have said that they never expected to grow as a photographer this fast because of an online web forum.

I'd have to ditto that last remark.

Nonda Surratt
12-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Good job!!!! And much thanks to all of you for the opportunity you have provided for the rest of us.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks James for putting this forum together with such a huge field of industry leaders.

James Shadle
12-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks James for putting this forum together with such a huge field of industry leaders.

Thanks Curly, but this really has always been a TEAM effort.

Melvin Grey
12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Having been away for a while I could not understand what had happened to BPN. Having read your report James I am now aware of what has happened but, more importantly, I now have an idea of the tremendous amount of work you and the team put into keeping this site 'clean' and operating efficiently. You all do a great job and I cannot begin to thank you all enough, words are just too inadequate.

Richard Waas
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I want to thank all of you for all your hard work. I see several of you online at all hours of the day (and night) just to ensure that the rest of us have a place to show our images and get the critiques that make us all grow and get better. Thanks again and I look forward to the new and better website.......

John Chardine
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Throughout this event, the site stayed up which is a huge tribute to the computer people including James who keep this place running. Still haven't had the chance to ban and scrub a spammer and now maybe I never will. I know, never say never.

bill kominsky
12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I would like to commend you and all the people involved in doing a fantastic job and the fixing of the issues of what was going on here recently, you deserve much kudo's on the effort you and everyone else involved. Thank you for making BPN something to be proud of.

Bill

Howard Burkert
12-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all the hard work and efforts by all. Rewards and success are near.
Best, Howard

Tony Whitehead
12-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for all the hard work, James and crew. These things can be a real mission to troubleshoot and rebuild and it's a huge credit to the staff, members and contributors that the forum has continued to function well despite the significant usability challenges during this time - as sure indication that the content of the site is the real value.

Robert D. Gregg
12-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for your excellent work! It is certainly appreciated.

BigBob...

Dave Woeller
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I haven't been real active lately (other issues) but would also like to say that I have grown immensely because of the efforts of the team here. Thanks to all.

Rene' Villela
12-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Just stopping by to say thank you for your hard work and for all the help that you provide to people like me who are just trying to learn. Thank you for everything! Rene' Villela

christopher galeski
12-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I have only been on a few weeks,and I have learnt alot,its a great site,and I am glad I found it,thanks for everybodys hard work.chris.

Ed Cordes
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Due to professional commitments (not photographic) I don't always have the time to participate as much as I would like. However, I, along with all those who participate even a little, greatly appreciate all the entire staff are doing. It is an awesome site.

Thank you for making it such a great place.

Robert Amoruso
12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Well James you are doing a great job as is Blake with the programming and now with Chris, all the better. A hearty thanks for the hard work to you three.

Richard Stern
12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I am a relative beginner and have a huge amount to learn from all the wonderful photographers here - I can't imagine what a huge job it must be to run a forum as well as you folks do, and not run into many more disasters. Thank you all for a wonderful learning experience, and superb feasts for the eye.

Richard

David Billingsley
12-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks to everyone on the team - DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Have a blessed day - dave b.

Patty Sullivan
12-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I have to say, James, when you get a moment to breathe you really should go take a look around the forums. There are more people than ever who have commented this weekend that they can't believe how many great tips and comments they are getting from people who are viewing their images and more than one have said that they never expected to grow as a photographer this fast because of an online web forum.

I'd have to ditto that last remark.
I have to ditto that ditto!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks all you guys and gals that moderate! I was hoping you got paid you work so hard. I realized washing dishes you probably paid to get it all online... THANKS!!

Anita Bower
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I am new to this site. What I appreciate the most is the honest and helpful critiques! They are a treasure and hard to come by elsewhere. Many thanks!

Stuart Frohm
12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks very much to everyone for all that you do. With warmest wishes for an excellent new year,
Stu

Joseph Martines
12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Cap'n and crew:

Many thanks for creating a wonderful forum with involved advanced/professional photograhers willing to freely exchange and help neophytes like me.

The "pointers" regarding books and equipment in addition to the C&C is welcome.

Thank you - all.