PDA

View Full Version : Texas Brown Tarantula - Ext. Depth of Field

Paul Wolf
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I created this image by combining seven images shot a different focal points. I used PS CS4 Auto-align and Auto-blend layers commands to combine the images. I then spent hours and hours cleaning it up especially where the software seemed to have trouble with the displacements due to different focusing points. All in all, it worked very well, but still required lots of clean-up. I painted hairs, blurred, cloned, drew missing pieces, burned, dodged. Lots of work, as I say.

Finally, I applied some medium sharpening with FocalBlade.

This shot was taken in Lost Maples State Natural Area, Vanderpool, Texas, on a November morning.

Canon 1D Mk III
Canon 100mm, f/2.8 macro
f/11, 1/6th sec., ISO 200
Canon 580EX flash with white Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce

Comments and criticisms very welcome, as always.
Paul <!-- attachments -->

Alfred Forns
12-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Paul Particularly like the flash control on this image, very natural !!

Sharp throughout with good dof, like the included pant to give a little color and would only take a little top and bottom? Just personal taste !! Love it !!!

Michel Pilon
12-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Congratulations Paul because I don't see any proof of manipulations here. You worked hard but the result is wonderful and the work, unnoticeable! Excellent exposition and good pov!

Great job and thanks for sharing!

Michel

Julie Kenward
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Agree with the other comments - a little tighter crop and you're there. You really did do an outstanding job on this. I don't think I've ever seen a more detailed photo of this species. Well done!

Paul Wolf
12-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks, everyone for your comments. This was a real thrill for me. I've been traveling to the Texas Hill Country for several years, and I've been on the lookout for one of these. I knew they were there and somewhat common, but I never could find one. And then on a trail at Lost Maples, there it was climbing over a very large boulder. It was so docile and calm, and it froze upside down while I snapped picture after picture. My wife thought I was nuts as I inched closer and closer even removing some of the plant that was within a fraction of an inch of its head. So, I wanted to create something that did this wonderful creature justice. At least I gave it my best.

Paul

Aristotle Georgiou
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Great work Paul, excellent DOF, very sharp, nice exposure control. I like the habitat, but I feel that I want to see more of this wonderful looking creature.

Well done.

Mike Moats
12-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Hey Paul, I've play with helicon focus and merging images and its a great way to increase DOF while maintaing a nice clean BG. Good job on this one, nice details and BG.

Ed Vatza
12-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Excellent job here, Paul. The detail is terrific. The only nit here is that the distant background at the top looks a tad noisy on my monitor. Maybe its just me. But a big well done here!

Paul Wolf
12-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Mike:
I used Helicon Focus and then tried the Photoshop tools. Surprisingly, both produced about the same results. On the one hand, I was disappointed in Helicon Focus but glad that's one less piece of software I need to buy. Of course, I recognize it could be I didn't take enough shots in the field or I need to practice more with Helicon Focus - or both.

I thought I had blurred that background. Easy to fix but, Ed, thanks for pointing that out.

Paul

Mike Moats
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Hey Paul, I have not played with Helicon in a while but when I did I was never successful at producing a good image with more than four shots. I was shooting still subjects but must have had some movement somewhere because the images seemed out of alignment.