PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Back

Mike Moats
12-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Well here in southeast Michigan winter seems to be here to stay now. Had a few inches of snow today and temps have been cold so we've got ice to shoot.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Natural Light, Tripod, F32

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Very nice Mike, you've had a few inches we have had three feet so far this week in Traverse City, at least it sounds like a great owl invasion year in Chippewa County as snowy's, hawk owls are showing up with Great Greys soon.

Julie Kenward
12-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I was talking to my best friend last night (she lives in Cedar Springs, MI) and she mentioned it was snowing like nobody's business up there.

Mike, as for the image, what AM I looking at? Is it tree limbs? I love it whatever it is but I'm totally stumped.

Stu Bowie
12-07-2008, 01:51 AM
I like the curves in this Mike, and let me guess its ice captured on a root system. Very arty, and well thoughtout Mike.

Mike Moats
12-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Dennis, THREE FEET! you guys are getting slammed up there. Hey Jules, Stuart got it partly right, its ice at the edge of a little stream. I have more I'll post, very cool abstract stuff.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Mike, one other question...what made the ice that gorgeous aqua color? Was it just the lighting? If so, what time of day did you take it? If it was a boost in pp, I'd love to know what you did. Perhaps it's just the lighting/surroundings where I live but my ice always comes out very deeply blue. I was just wondering if I could do something different - maybe change up the WB?

Mike Moats
12-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey Jules, I wish I could tell you where the color came from but can't be positive. It could be from the blue sky overhead, ot it was in a small creek with water running underneath, or just the white balance that happened to come out of the camera. It was a sunny morning but I used a diffuser to shade it. I've had them come out different shades of blues.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah three feet, I shot this photo today and it was to my waist, but could not get anybody to go with me so I had a reference.

Your Tiny Landscapes looks great so I ordered on today for my christmas stuffer, as I want to get better at macro since I just bought a lens and ring flash.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Holy crap Dennis! I'm lovin' Missouri tonight!

Mike Moats
12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Denns, just saw your oder come in, thanks and I'll have it out tomorrow.

I just bought a big two stage snowthrower for this year so send some of that three feet down here so I can eat it up.:D

Alfred Forns
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Love the mood Mike !!!

btw our local forecast is not calling for much snow :) Sure wish I could see some !!!

Aristotle Georgiou
12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Interesting shot Mike, I really like the textured lines and curves.

In OZ we don't get much snow, but I sure miss being in Canada for winter.

Ed Vatza
12-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Love the composition here, Mike. Well seen and well captured. The aqua color is nice but I keep thinking the ice should look a little whiter. What would have happened with a little more +EC? Just curious.