PDA

View Full Version : White-crowned Sparrow

Richard Stern
12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
South Rim, Grand Canyon recently. D300, Nikon 80-400 at 400mm. 1/2000, f5.6, hand-held. The background is a wooden building. Does the juniper branch in front of the bird significantly detract from the image?

Richard

Gus Cobos
12-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi Richard,
I like the composition. There are traces of harsh light hitting your subject from the front. The white band on the head is cooked; you might want to tone it down. There is a whitish streak on the top left side of the frame that you can clone out. The perch is nice, complimenting the bird. I would suggest in opening up the eye and selective sharpen it. the colors are good. also like the background... :cool:

Harold Davis
12-06-2008, 03:51 PM
i dont think it distracts too much. agree with gus on the exposure. would have been a great candidate for flash fill!!

compowise i would take a little off the bottom and add a little to the top. the wooden building made a cool bg!!!!

Nonda Surratt
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
The perch is super and the bird is nice and sharp.

Agree with Gus and 'the other guy'.

Harold Davis
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Agree with Gus and 'the other guy'.

story of my life:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I like it a lot and got one crop suggestion Try taking some from the bottom and left Might work fine !!!

Not bothered much by the foreground branch since its not oof !!1

Julie Kenward
12-06-2008, 07:42 PM
This is really lovely. I think he feels a bit tight at the top of the frame with the horizontal crop so I tried a square crop to see what you think of it. I also cloned out the ugly branch in the bottom right corner.

Gus is right in that the white stripe is a bit "overdone" but it's a minimal thing. Correct it if you can and next time watch your histogram and make sure it stays clear of that right side edge.

You sure got a beautiful BG and the bird is nicely in focus. He looks like he's deep in thought, doesn't he? Very sweet.