PDA

View Full Version : Shorebird Help

Harold Davis
12-06-2008, 02:56 PM
two questions here. first of all, what is this one? found at boynton inlet, boynton beach, florida.

second question: this little guy walked right up to me as to ask for help. if you notice there is a string that is tying its two legs together. it was hopping on one leg. no trouble flying. should i have tried to catch it and remove the string. i have been in situations where i have literally caught a bird while fishing. easily removed hooks by covering bird with towel and getting to the hook safely.

didnt know if there was and ettiquette thing or a health issue i should be concerned with. if i had have had a towel with me at the time he walked up to me i would not have hesitated helping him. by the time i got the towel it was gone.

next time?

thanks

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Poor winter-plumaged (AKA nonbreeding) Ruddy Turnstone. If it is easy to catch, sure, I would have been tempted to help it too. But I wouldn't want to put it under additional stress. You say it could fly no problem...did you notice if it was also feeding OK? If so, then my guess is that if there is no hook it may just survive for a good while.

Harold Davis
12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
thanks daniel. it was feeding just fine right in front of me. i have a feeling it will be OK for a while to. just not living like the others. it was amazing how many times the string had been wrapped around the one leg.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
No health issues at all. Catching it if you could would have been the way to go. BTW, it would have been nearly impossible to catch it (unless you had French fries for bait...)

John Chardine
12-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Agree with Artie, no risk at all to handle the bird. However, it doesn't hurt to carry a pair of those blue nitryl gloves in your glove (!) compartment in case you need to handle something that you are unsure of.