http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_4307-Edit-3.jpg

Canon 5D, Canon 16-35 Mk1, f/8, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/4000, 0 EV, handheld

C&C welcome

Thanks for looking

Tom

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Tom,

I like the stormy look of the scene the curvature of the shore and thatr rock in the water which balances well with the mountain in the BG. I see and understand why you would chose the FG composition as well.

I have been looking at this since yesterday and even had your version and one I cropped side-by-side. I cropped from the bottom just above the sharp curvature of the tidal flow. I would suggest you try this crop I posted. I feel it accentuates the stronger parts of the image, the shore curvature and the clouds. Thanks for posting.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
This image really has a "feel" to it, Tom. I can totally see myself wanting to be here. With that statement, I would also have to agree with Robert on the crop and here's why: Although the FG in your image is very interesting, it makes me stand at the "edge" of the frame and not want to walk "in" because I would have to navigate over the small stream. With Robert's crop I feel like I am there, standing on the water's edge, feeling the water at my feet.

I'm sure his reasons were made for more technical reasons than mine but, as an impartial viewer, I "feel" your image more in the second crop.

Hope that helps!

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Tom,
Robert beat me to a crop suggestion......but I found myself really liking the lower portion.......but I did understand what Julie was talking about.........so I went exploring with the crop tool in PS2.......and I came up with 2 different versions. I do nor recall if you were against using the clone or healing brush.......so if you are OK with them......the first post is your original crop.......with quite a bit of patch tool use...removing the rock in the LL and blending one in on the FG.......as well as a few twigs removed on the LR......plus a few more FG areas.......the 2nd post will be mostly a crop.......with very minor clean up with the healing brush tool......just along the lower frame edge.
My personal choice is your original comp......with the digital clean up.........but only if you are OK with that......the crop....kepps your intent........W/O the manipulation........either way........nicely seen and composed with very dramatic lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Here's the 2nd crop version

Tom Dolezal
12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Tom,
Robert beat me to a crop suggestion......but I found myself really liking the lower portion.......but I did understand what Julie was talking about.........so I went exploring with the crop tool in PS2.......and I came up with 2 different versions. I do nor recall if you were against using the clone or healing brush.......so if you are OK with them......the first post is your original crop.......with quite a bit of patch tool use...removing the rock in the LL and blending one in on the FG.......as well as a few twigs removed on the LR......plus a few more FG areas.......the 2nd post will be mostly a crop.......with very minor clean up with the healing brush tool......just along the lower frame edge.
My personal choice is your original comp......with the digital clean up.........but only if you are OK with that......the crop....kepps your intent........W/O the manipulation........either way........nicely seen and composed with very dramatic lighting.

Many thanks Roman for your input and edits on this image. For me your 1st edit, which includes some fg cloning, works very well. For me, it is that stream running through the sand which works very well in giving fg interest and why I have stong views against a fg crop.

I do find it very interesting how different eyes interpret the positives and negatives of the image in different ways.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Tom,

I like the stormy look of the scene the curvature of the shore and thatr rock in the water which balances well with the mountain in the BG. I see and understand why you would chose the FG composition as well.

I have been looking at this since yesterday and even had your version and one I cropped side-by-side. I cropped from the bottom just above the sharp curvature of the tidal flow. I would suggest you try this crop I posted. I feel it accentuates the stronger parts of the image, the shore curvature and the clouds. Thanks for posting.

Many thanks Robert for your comment and taking the time to edit - very much appreciated. I have looked at this crop during the day and in this instance I am not really keen on it as I feel that the little stream provides good fg interest. If instead the fg was just sand I would very much go with your crop idea as nothing of value is lost.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
This image really has a "feel" to it, Tom. I can totally see myself wanting to be here. With that statement, I would also have to agree with Robert on the crop and here's why: Although the FG in your image is very interesting, it makes me stand at the "edge" of the frame and not want to walk "in" because I would have to navigate over the small stream. With Robert's crop I feel like I am there, standing on the water's edge, feeling the water at my feet.

I'm sure his reasons were made for more technical reasons than mine but, as an impartial viewer, I "feel" your image more in the second crop.

Hope that helps!

Many thanks Julie for your valued comments which are very much appreciated. I must admit that I have not viewed that stream as a 'barrier' prior to your comment so for me that is a very interesting veiwpoint for consideration.

Tom