PDA

View Full Version : Canyon de Chelly cottonwoods

bill yeates
12-06-2008, 09:02 AM
The composition of this scene hit me and I just had to stop and shoot it. The lighting is pretty much as I saw it. The grove was still in shadow, but there was reflected light from several canyon walls across the way.
canon 40D, 1/100, f7, iso 400

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Bill,

I agree a very nice scene with soft light. The road acts well as a leading line curving into the frame. The image appears a bit soft and I suggest more sharpening.

Though you border would great for printing or for presentation on your website, here it would be better IMO to post the image only so we can enjoy it in a larger aspect ratio. Nice work.

Another thought was the the light made the image look a bit flat. In one sense that is a plus as it gives it a dreamlike quality. You might want to try increasing contrast to see how you like it. Thanks for posting.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Bill, I had to look twice to make sure this didn't have a painted filter over the top of the image! As it is presented I think it could easily be the cover of a great children's book - it has that dreamy, innocent feel to it. I do think it would be nice to also see it with a higher contrast just to see how it would be different - that might easily work as well - especially if you kept the lighting soft and only increased the contrast in the tree bark, path area.

Two small things: on the right edge of the frame there is part of a tree and, behind it, something that looks like a pole? If you cropped a hair off on the right or cloned them out those would both be gone and you'd have a cleaner edge to your frame.

Chris Starbuck
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Bill,
I love the light and overall composition. Well seen and well captured. I do agree with Robert's and Jules' comments. Hope to see more of your photos here!

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others above....as Julie specifically noticed the post on the edge.......that iwas going to recommend getting rid of.......with crop or clone........either way......doesn't take much away from the frame.
I would also like to see this with a bit more contrast......but my gut feeling is that it will take away more from the mood than add to it......but is something you may want to explore.......so I would have recommended it also.
Very nicely composed.

bill yeates
12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the comments. I didn't see the distractions
on the right at first, but you're right, once you see them
they become distractions. I cropped and cloned those
out and removed a couple more in the center. I also
tweaked the contrast and sharpened. Originally, I
thought I liked the soft, dreamy effect. So, here is the
edited version.

Julie Kenward
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Okay, I think I like this at least equally as well if not better. Nice changes Bill!

Robert Amoruso
12-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I notice the right too but was wondering if I was being to picky. But I think Bill's repost shows the difference that small change makes. Nice work Bill. Thanks for posting the new version.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Bill,
Lovely. The original looks like a painting. The repost is bigger and has more contrast and sharpening, so looks different. When you print big, the electric poles can be a distraction which is not noticed in the small size here.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roman Kurywczak
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey Bill,
I''ll go with the dreamy look of the first........but I do like the pole removal!