PDA

View Full Version : 1 more Heron!

Rene' Villela
12-06-2008, 07:30 AM
The story is this guy was flying far away collecting his building materials. On the next tree there was another pair building their next. The funny thin is the male of the second pair kept stealing whatever this guy brought in. Every time this guy left to get some more, the other male would come and take what ever was available on this guy's nest. It went on for hours. I wonder if he ever finished his own nest!

The shot.... My excuse is I didn't know better! :)
The stick is covering his eyes and NOW I don't like the angle. The front age of the wings and the legs have no detail. I just don't know how to fix it! But I still thought it was worse sharing it with you guys! With your help I promise I'll do better this season!

Nikon D300 - (old) AF 300 f/4, AP f/11, 1/400 sec, EV -0.7, ISO 400. Applied D-Lighting on NX2 to bring up the dark areas.

Maxis Gamez
12-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Rene,

This image suffers from eye contact. Looks like you can pull more details from under the wings. Perhaps using Shadow and Hightlings will help you will that.

Fabs Forns
12-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Rene, the way you created this image, you needed a little less minus compensation, because the under side of the bird in in the shade. I do not like D-lighting because on sunny days it gives me a halo on birds in flight on blue sky. I have turned off.

As in home renovations, the work is never finished ;)

Stu Bowie
12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I always use a plus comp when shooting up into the sky, you will always get more detail on the underwings. I agree with no eye visible, but well done on showing him with his nesting material Rene'.

Rene' Villela
12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I hear you guys! To be honest until a few weeks back I've been taking pictures of birds but I really didn't have any guidelines. Starting this Winter, when most of the birds are around, I'll try to do a better job. After looking at hundreds of pictures here in BPN I have a better idea of what to do with my camera and my WIDE angle 300 mm lens! Thanks for all your comments! they will help a lot!

Arthur Morris
12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Rene. Good plans. In addition to the stuff above, focus seems to be past the head which appears both unsharp and blurry... I do love the pose. Keep on practising