PDA

View Full Version : XP to Vista Help!

Filemon Lopez
12-06-2008, 06:26 AM
As I look at purchasing a new laptop I realize that I have to convert to Vista and wanted to get some input as to the following questions:
1. Which Vista version to get
2. If laptop has Vista does desktop have to have as well?
3. Do I have to purchase all new software or simply reload?
4. Anything I have to do to my old files that were created in XP?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Filemon

Gayle Clement
12-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi Filemon, the transition is an easy one.
4) All files will transfer easily and most photo programs (CS3, CS4, Lightroom, Capture NX2) work fine.
2) You can have XP on a desktop and Vista on a laptop.
3) You'll have to upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007 for the laptop and remember to save as 2003 so files can run on the desktop. Vista will run files created in XP with no problem. Buy a minimum of 3 gigs of RAM for that laptop. Most people that complain about Vista try to run it with too little memory.
1) I have the 32 bit Home version on my laptop and it works well. I no longer use my laptop to connect to a business network but I would have purchased the Business version if I was tied to an office and used my laptop there.

Note: Both a 32 bit version of Vista and a 64 bit are available.
I sent you an email with more.

Grady Weed
12-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Stay with XP and use the pro version. Vista is a 64 bit version of XP with all of the current updates, nothing more. It will give you no advantage to go to Vista, just enrich the pockets of brother Bill. Put your money in the camera or lens. Sager notebooks will sell you a laptop with lots of pwer and install XP Pro for you. They are not the cheapest laptop, but worth every penny. If you would like to chat by phone, call me. E-mail me first.

I respect Gayles and others opinion, I just differ with it. I have owned my own PC repair Tech business now for 19 years. Thanks.

Chris Ober
12-06-2008, 12:02 PM
1) If it has to be Vista, I'd get the Ultimate version but in 32bit. I've found a few things that won't run on 64 and drivers are harder to find.
2) No
3) Dump office and use the free OpenOffice which can read and write Office documents. http://www.openoffice.org. Most other software will run but check on drivers for any devices you have.
4) Nope

Filemon Lopez
12-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks to all for your insight.

Jim Zipp
12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I just built a new Vista 64 bit system using the new Intel Core i7 processor. It is the first time I've ever used Vista and I had very little problems getting every piece of hardware and software I have up and running. The only two things were Diskeeper 08 which would run on Vista 32 but because I went with 64 bit I had to upgrade to the 09 version and Retrospect that I used for mirroring folders which won't work. No big deal at all and a pretty painless transition.

Jim Bridges
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I just got a new Dell Studio XPS with <ST1:p</ST1:p64 bit also using the Intel Core i7 processor. I use Capture NX 1.3.4 and everything is working fine so far. It works just like XP did with Capture NX.<O:p</O:p