PDA

View Full Version : A Killdeer just standing there

Chuck Brittain
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Took this shot way back in spring and never really gave it much thought. Got to looking at it and thought it would be a good example for you folks to tell me what I could have done to make it better. Thanks for your help
20D, EF 75-300
1/200th
ISO 200
f/11

Desmond Chan
12-06-2008, 03:02 AM
If this image were mine, I would sharpen the bird. And if I were to this photo, I would have left more room on the right before I pressed the shutter button. The colors and the exposure look good to me.

Harold Davis
12-06-2008, 07:03 AM
good suggestions by desmond! would also add to bump the ISO or open up wide open to take advantage of a higher shutter speed. also some fill flash.....experiment with some flash. you will be amazed at how it fills in the shadows. you can do a burst of shots and compare them and will see the difference because the flash cant fire at full power everytime.

lastly, you could have moved to a position where the sun was directly behind you and your shadow pointed at the bird. that would have eliminated any shadows like the ones on the head and breast of your bird. hope this helps!!

denise ippolito
12-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Good suggestions above- I like the HA and colors-nice shot!

Alfred Forns
12-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Chuck Lovely bird and setting !!! The splash of color is very appealing

Great suggestions and can add trying to get on sun angle. The breast is a bit darker from being in shadows, light from your back would have lit up the entire bird. Only way to appreciate the difference is having the two images side by side ... it is a big deal !!

Do love it as presented and only wish it were in my files :)

Gus Cobos
12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Chuck,
I like the base composition...great advise given by the BPN family. The think that catches my eye is the tight room left for the tail. would present better if you give him more room on the right side of the frame...looking forward to your next capture...:cool: